How to make cookies soft.

Reaction score
I have tried multiple cookie recipes. Im no culinary educated chef, i just love baking in the kitchen. My dilemma is I like my cookies soft and chewy, but, i have no idea what i am doing wrong to get them that way.

Im not sure if it has to do with the cooking time, or if it has to do with the ingredients. They come out soft but by the time they cool they are hard crunchy cookies. I once read you have to under bake them for them to stay chewy. How safe is that?? I've triad adding more baking soda less baking soda, changing the flour and eggs but i can't seem to get that perfect chewy fluffy cookie. You know like the ones they sell at Mrs. Fields. I have tried a copy cat recipe and not chewy at all.

I figure this is the perfect spot to learn some new tricks. Someone please help me!!!! WHAT MAKES A COOKIE SOFT!!!

Reaction score
I answered another post like this but it was specifically about chocolate chip cookies. I think the same advice applies though and that is to add pudding mix to the recipe or find a recipe that has pudding mix in it. The cookies come out so much softer with the pudding mix in it and they stay soft even after they have cooled down.

Reaction score
I am going to try that. What flavor pudding mix do you suggest. Probably depends on the cookie I'm trying to bake.

Reaction score
When I am baking my cookies I like them soft and chewy. My tip is not to over bake them too much. You can also put your cookies in an airtight container, placing a slice of bread on top of them but make sure the cookies are cooled. This method absorbs the sugar from the cookies, allowing them to remain soft for a period of time. Make sure to change the slice of bread every 2 or 3 days preventing it from mold growth. You won't want your cookies tasting moldy like lol... o_O

Reaction score
Hi,
I always take the cookies out before they seem completely done. They will continue to cook for a bit after you remove them from the oven.
Also, like the addition of pudding mix, I just add some cornstarch the the mix (a tablespoon for a 2 dozen cookie batch).
Go make some more cookies!

hhh

Reaction score
Don't cook them for too long! I know you'll be tempted to cook them so that they'll be hard on both sides, rather than one. But if you do that, you'll end up with crisp cookies rather than soft ones you're looking for. And it will be perfectly safe so you need not worry about that, just make sure it's not raw haha!

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you put an extra egg yolk in and make tall cookie balls, roll them long versus round. I tried it and my cookies came out perfect. I have to work on the sizing to make sure they're all the same size. Also, I only let them bake till the short end of the time frame so it was 10-13 min I only let them back 10 -11 minutes

Reaction score
I also struggle with this all the time when I am baking a cookie. My cookies are always nice and gooey immediately after they come out the oven, but about 30 minutes later they become rock hard. I'll try these suggestions and hopefully they'll help me achieve that perfect chewy cookie. I'm still kinda new to baking and I'm trying my best to learn little details to help me possibly become a professional. It's ironic for me tho because right now I'm trying I go on a diet. Hopefully I'll just be able find healthy cookie recipes.

Ask a Question