I need a firmer cheesecake

Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

I made cheesecake brownies on Friday (Gosh they tasted amazing!) but even after overnight chilling they were a tiny bit too soggy to cut so handling them, even very gently, resulted in a bit of a messy finish.

Both the cheesecake part and the brownie part were a bit too soft, which is odd because this never happens to my brownies or cheesecakes, but baked together...
I don't know what I've done wrong/differently.

I had a 2nd attempt, this time baking them for longer, but it didn't make any difference.

Any tips please?

Rebecca :)

Reaction score
Update;

I've been doing some Googling and the issue might be the fact that my recipe required an egg (it might even have been 2) none of these dozens of cheesecake recipes I'm looking at require an egg.

Reaction score
Adding an egg would not cause it to be soft, quiet the contrary as egg is a thickener. Egg is full of protein. When mixed and heated, protein denaturation occurs. Essentially the molecules unfurls, and then bind together—coagulation. It’s just like when you cook a scrambled egg.

If anything there is too much fat, starch, and/or sugar in the recipe that is interfering with coagulation.

You can read about the protein denaturation here. It is on eggs in general, and focused on custard, but it applies to protein denaturation in all baking.

Reaction score
That's brilliant, thank you!

Since I posted earlier I also discovered that the recipe I am using requires a very tiny amount of flour compared to the Brownie recipe I usually use, so that may explain why the Brownie base is also a little too soft to cut.

:)

Ask a Question