Impossible cake anyone?

Reaction score
So, there is a cake that seems to generate many mixed feelings, I'm talking about the impossible cake:

chocoflan_049.jpg

This is basically a normal chocolate cake no the bottom with some vanilla custard on top of it. While it is a bit tricky to get right the first time, it's not that impossible ;) It requires you to use the bain marie technique, but that's the same technique when you make custard alone ;)

The most important thing when making the cake is making sure the chocolate bottom has the right consistency, if it doesn't then things could go so wrong!!!

Have you tried making this cake? Did you have troubles?

Reaction score
Chocolate cake and custard with vanilla and caramel sauce are two of my favorite dessert But I have not tried making this kind of chocolate cake with custard using the bain marie technique. This is very interesting and I would love to try this kind of combination in a cake.

Reaction score
Hm, I was curious when I saw your title- I'd never heard of an impossible cake before, lol. I agree with your assessment here, a bit tricky the first time or two maybe but by no means impossible ;). Sounds like an interesting cake to try.

Reaction score
Hahahaha, I know ;) They chose that name I guess because most non bakers when they see this cake for the first time think: ''Holy.....! I thought the same thing the first time I ate it, I was 8 years old or so ;) No baking for for me.

Reaction score
Chocolate cake and custard with vanilla and caramel sauce are two of my favorite dessert But I have not tried making this kind of chocolate cake with custard using the bain marie technique. This is very interesting and I would love to try this kind of combination in a cake.

I highly recommend it, it's like adding a new interesting twist to the average chocolate cake. I love it. But let me tell you most people use the chocolate cake mix from the boxes ;) If you make your own then the result will be really good, but the recipe of your custard is the real key here.

Reaction score
I enjoy custard, and I'm crazy for anything chocolate, but I honestly never would have thought to put the two together. Then add caramel sauce? My goodness.

That's terrible! lol That's SO many calories!

My mom used to make something called "impossible pie," but it was called that because it was super easy.

Reaction score
Yeah, you are right, it has a lot calories, but it's great if you have guests over ;) Great topic of conversation. I ate a slice of this cake at the local mall the other day, the custard was excellent very rich! i like to go there when I'm craving this cake, not a good idea to make this at home, not if guests are not coming, hahaha! By the way, no, not all the time caramel sauce is added, I personally like mine without the sauce.

Reaction score
Have I made this cake? 'No, no, no'! When you asked if you had troubles, I can foresee troubles galore so I am happy to admire it from here. I don't see it possible me making an impossible cake anytime soon. Best wishes to all of you who want to give it a try.

Reaction score
Aw Anne!!! @Winterybella Isn't as hard as it seems, wish I could show you how easy this cake is to make, just a bit tricky the first time, but the result is worth it. Here are some of my fav impossible cake pics...mmm

weekend1.jpg

145356lrg.jpg

065.jpg

3701.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, now that was just mean! :p Showing all those pictures when I don't have a mall nearby to grab a slice of heavenly goodness! :D

Don't feel bad, @Winterybella. I don't see myself attempting this one any time soon, either.

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my good friend Anne some nice pics ;) Maybe after seeing those she might feel like trying this one out :);) There are mini versions as well:

chocoflan+individual2.jpg

Reaction score
Trellum you are 'impossible'! :DTrust you to go and send my blood pressure up in the air looking at these delights. While I work in the mall sometimes Zyni, I am glad I have never seen any of these cakes around here and for your sake I am glad there are no malls close to you. We are going to have to put Trellum in the Bakery jail so she will stop trying to kill us.

Reaction score
Trellum you are 'impossible'! :DTrust you to go and send my blood pressure up in the air looking at these delights. While I work in the mall sometimes Zyni, I am glad I have never seen any of these cakes around here and for your sake I am glad there are no malls close to you. We are going to have to put Trellum in the Bakery jail so she will stop trying to kill us.

Hmm. I wonder where she would have gotten ideas like that. Possibly from *someone* else who insists on posting temptations...

You know, the smaller versions of these look like they might be easier to make. I might actually try the mini ones. Well, sometime, not any time soon.

Must. Resist.

Reaction score

Lol! Oh yes, I had forgotten you actually have glucose issues :( I do as well, not diabetic, but I do suffer from insulin resistance :oops: That is why I never make this at home... and if I do I use mini pans ;) But remember seeing is not as bad as eating them :p Now if they were in front of me.... they'd be history! Would the bakery jail serve biscuits or pecan cookies? :p

Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder where she would have gotten ideas like that. Possibly from *someone* else who insists on posting temptations...

You know, the smaller versions of these look like they might be easier to make. I might actually try the mini ones. Well, sometime, not any time soon.

Must. Resist.

Not guilty. Check who's been around longer. If anything it has to be that I am a follower. Certain people ;) have been doing this for years I imagine and that's why they should be 'jailed' and put in maximum security with all the biscuits and pecan cookies to live out the remainder of their years. Life without parole. I am not unkind so I will allow excellent medical care once a week.

I checked this impossible cake on pinterest.....I don't have to tell you...I refused to post any of the pics. Right now I am happy to 'dream the impossible dream' and stay as far away as POSSIBLE from this Impossible cake. Seriously.

Ask a Question