Is Red Velvet Cake bad for you?

Reaction score
Recently, I have been reading lot on Red Velvet cakes. It seems to be having a come back. I have even seen some recipes for Red Velvet cheesecakes, cookies, and pies. I was surprised because I was always under the impression that red food coloring was bad for you. What do you think? Is Red Velvet Cake bad for you?

Reaction score
That's true! And I was reading about the reaction of the buttermilk and the vinegar, and the article said this is what 'may' have originally brought out the reddish color of the chocolate. Another article was saying that in World War II when people had to ration food; many used beet juice to help color their Red Velvet cakes or Devil's Food cakes. So I suppose we could look into making it healthier by using fruit juice. I didn't realize that is why a Devil's Food cake was called that - because of the color. But they do use chocolate on T.V. and Film to look like blood, so I guess it makes sense that chocolate comes off as having a reddish color. I tried looking up nutritional value but it varied greatly: 200 to 400 calories per slice, 11g carbs to 19g fat, 19g to 70g carbs, 0g to 4 g protein. The protein part surprised me because the recipe calls for buttermilk and eggs so it sounds protein rich to me.

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the red food coloring that was bad for you was taken off the market years ago. It was a manufactured red dye that was eventually linked to cases of cancer.

A new, non-threatening version of red food coloring was put on the market in the late 80's or early 90's.

Incidentally, when I was a kid they weren't selling red M&M's anymore because of what had happened. I remember how controversial it was that Mars reintroduced the red ones.

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the red food coloring that was bad for you was taken off the market years ago. It was a manufactured red dye that was eventually linked to cases of cancer.

A new, non-threatening version of red food coloring was put on the market in the late 80's or early 90's.

Incidentally, when I was a kid they weren't selling red M&M's anymore because of what had happened. I remember how controversial it was that Mars reintroduced the red ones.

Thanks! I had no idea. I guess I should have researched it. I do wonder though if different parts of the world have different laws. We had friends from Denmark come to visit once and they were making fun of Americans for still using Red food coloring and I think that was my first time I realized that it was something bad. But it didn't dawn on me to research it. I know its been 10 years since the comment but I suddenly feel the urge to email my friend and tell her its okay! I think I will now safely begin experimenting with Red Velvet!

Reaction score
Thanks! I had no idea. I guess I should have researched it. I do wonder though if different parts of the world have different laws. We had friends from Denmark come to visit once and they were making fun of Americans for still using Red food coloring and I think that was my first time I realized that it was something bad. But it didn't dawn on me to research it. I know its been 10 years since the comment but I suddenly feel the urge to email my friend and tell her its okay! I think I will now safely begin experimenting with Red Velvet!

I've had a red velvet cake every year for my birthday for the last 5 or so years. I make up a cream cheese frosting to go with it and it's always tasty and goes over well.

The only caveat I can give to you is that when dealing with red velvet, bear in mind how strong the red dye is. I got a gooey drop of the wet mix on my counter and we had a red dot until the counters were replaced.

Reaction score
I can't imagine that any kind of cake is good for you, I imagine it's fine in moderation though. When I was a student I would sometime buy cakes and eat the whole thing in one day- now that's not good for you! :p But a slice of red velvet cake here and there will probably do no harm :)

Reaction score
I have not heard of any modern day food coloring being dangerous for consumption, but if it is a concern to you, you can always try organic.

Ask a Question