Keeping cookies tasting fresh

Reaction score
My cookies taste great the day I make them, right out of the oven, and for the rest of that day. I put leftover cookies in canisters with gaskets in the lid and a locking mechanism that is designed to keep the cookies fresh. Next day, cookies don't taste nearly as good. They aren't stale, but they don't have that Day 1 taste. Does anyone have this problem? If so, how do you keep your cookies tasting Day 1 fresh? Thanks!

Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't think I'm confusing the two, but maybe I am. Texture is definitely different, either more crumbly, softer, or drier, depends on the cookie. Taste is slightly off from Day 1. To me, cookies just taste better on Day 1.

Reaction score
My cookies taste great the day I make them, right out of the oven, and for the rest of that day. I put leftover cookies in canisters with gaskets in the lid and a locking mechanism that is designed to keep the cookies fresh. Next day, cookies don't taste nearly as good. They aren't stale, but they don't have that Day 1 taste. Does anyone have this problem? If so, how do you keep your cookies tasting Day 1 fresh? Thanks!

I have a cookie business and all cookies are frozen as soon as I can. This keeps them fresh. Most of my cookies are decorated with Royal icing or glaze, then individually bagged and frozen in an airtight container. I do the same with Christmas cookies as well. They will stay fresh for a few months if frozen. Also, a lot has to do with your recipe, the type of oven you have (electric or gas). If you have gas, always put a pan of water in the oven as gas stoves allow moisture to escape whereas, electric holds it in.

Reaction score
I have a cookie business and all cookies are frozen as soon as I can. This keeps them fresh. Most of my cookies are decorated with Royal icing or glaze, then individually bagged and frozen in an airtight container. I do the same with Christmas cookies as well. They will stay fresh for a few months if frozen. Also, a lot has to do with your recipe, the type of oven you have (electric or gas). If you have gas, always put a pan of water in the oven as gas stoves allow moisture to escape whereas, electric holds it in.
Can you pack cookies airtight before freeze it

Reaction score
Can you pack cookies airtight before freeze it

Each cookie is individually bagged or shrink wrapped (with food safe wrappers), then put into an airtight container with a tight enough lid to be sure no more air can enter.

Reaction score
Each cookie is individually bagged or shrink wrapped (with food safe wrappers), then put into an airtight container with a tight enough lid to be sure no more air can enter.
What happen if you not airtight your box or container of cookies?

Reaction score
What happen if you not airtight your box or container of cookies?

Freezing is still better than leaving them out as long as you don't leave them frozen for too long. I'd say no longer than 3 months, but I have tried cookies that were frozen longer and they were fine, just more of a dulled taste. I've used food storage bags too, but each of my cookies are individually bagged as well.

Reaction score
Sure, keeping cookies tasting fresh can be tricky! After they cool completely, store them in an airtight container, and for extra softness, add a slice of bread or an apple slice inside—it helps maintain moisture without making them soggy. If mixing different flavors, separate them to avoid flavor blending. If they still don't stay fresh, try freezing them and warming them up a bit when you're ready to eat.

Reaction score
Freezing is still better than leaving them out as long as you don't leave them frozen for too long. I'd say no longer than 3 months, but I have tried cookies that were frozen longer and they were fine, just more of a dulled taste. I've used food storage bags too, but each of my cookies are individually bagged as well.
do you use the little self sealing cellophane bags?

Reaction score
do you use the little self sealing cellophane bags?

Yes, if they're decorated cookies, they go in self-sealing cello bags. If they're regular cookies, they go into Rubbermaid Takealong containers, then frozen. I make a LOT of cookies.... 30 different kinds of regular cookies for Christmas, but I'm also a cookie artist and take orders all year long. My cookies have to stay fresh.

Ask a Question