Raw nuts in cookies

Reaction score
Can I use raw walnuts in my cookies? Are raw nuts fine to use in baked goods in general? If roasting is required, which method is best? Thank you!

Reaction score
I've never heard of any actual significant health risks from eating raw nuts, but they do taste much better toasted. Sometimes they'll get toasted from the baking process itself, but in a cookie they won't really toast at all so you'll want to toast them beforehand. My preferred method is roasting in a 300°F oven until toasted in the very center, time depends on the nut and size. But honestly just baking at any temperature from 300-350°F would work fine.

Reaction score
I've never heard of any actual significant health risks from eating raw nuts, but they do taste much better toasted. Sometimes they'll get toasted from the baking process itself, but in a cookie they won't really toast at all so you'll want to toast them beforehand. My preferred method is roasting in a 300°F oven until toasted in the very center, time depends on the nut and size. But honestly just baking at any temperature from 300-350°F would work fine.
@Cahoot is correct. Only three tips I would add:

1. Nuts go rancid quickly. Buy and use shortly after purchase.

2. Walnuts can taste bitter. To avoid the bitter taste, as soon as they are removed from the oven, transfer onto a clean tea towel. Cover and gently rub to remove the skins.

3. When using chopped nuts to decorate outside of a cake, as a topping, or other decoration, after chopping, transfer nuts to a mesh sieve taking care not to scoop up the nut powder with the chopped nuts. Then shake the nuts to sift out any nut powder from the chopped nuts. Chopped nuts for decoration look more professional when clean of nut powder residue.

Reaction score
Thank you @Cahoot and @Norcalbaker59 for your responses. Would you think it's best that I buy them roasted or just buy them raw and roast them myself?

Personally I prefer raw nuts. Roasted nuts are pretty heavily roasted; when baked, they then to be dry. when I roast nuts for baking I prefer to lightly roast. That way they have some oils left them in, so some flavor and not dry after baking.

Ask a Question