1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 egg whites

Preheat over to 350° F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour in buttermilk and begin mixing slowly. Continue to mix until well blended. Add flavorings and stir. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F, then lower heat to 300°F and bake for about 25 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove cakes from oven and cool on racks. After 10 minutes, remove from pans and continue cooling on racks.

****You do NOT want air bubbles in this batter. Fold in SLOWLY, do not whip or beat the batter.

If this doesn't work, use 1/2 cup LESS buttermilk for a thicker batter.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the in depth tips.
Was thinking about trying cookie dough the next time I felt like tackling that pan again but will def start off with another heavier batter first.

That is if I can figure out where it is.
I do remember threatening to toss it in the Goodwill collection bins more than once lol ;-)

Reaction score
Wow, I think Chester's got you covered there, @Winterybella. I am a complete newb by comparison.

My baking pans consist of mostly average ones. I have the jumbo muffin cups, the mini muffin pan, and regular muffin pan (I apparently like muffins.. and cupcakes). Oh, I have a heart shaped muffin pan too, ha ha, and a large heart shaped cake pan. I have a couple different sizes of round layer cake pans, one square one, and one where the bottom drops out to remove the cake. I use it for specialty cheesecakes. It's small, so it works for really rich stuff, since people only need a small piece.

I have a glass pie plate and a glass loaf pan as well. Oh, and a mini loaf pan that makes 8 mini loaves (not glass).

Reaction score
@ChesterV, gave us quite the education much as I expected and I thank him again. I have the glass pan as shown in the picture at the end of the post with glass ware from Chester. I'd like to get my hand on the 'bad husband pan' if you ask me and it won't be for baking:D. @Zyni can you post me some those muffin pans? It sounds like you have more than enough to go around and whenever I check the ones here, they are so expensive.

Reaction score
I learned the hard way to always buy the best kitchen tools I could afford.
So if you think you are going to be more than just a casual baker save until you can buy good heavy pans with straight sides.
If you work in fondant a level cake tier with straight up and down sides will go a long way to prevent blowouts.
Nordic...Parrish and Fat Daddios are all great brands that if taken care of will last a lifetime.
No reason to try to outfit your whole kitchen at once.
Like knives and cookware (IMO) sets of things are usually not a great idea as the manufacturer will always throw in a few not so great items and then charge out the nose.
Did that make sense?

Reaction score
So if you think you are going to be more than just a casual baker save until you can buy good heavy pans with straight sides.
If you work in fondant a level cake tier with straight up and down sides will go a long way to prevent blowouts.
Nordic...Parrish and Fat Daddios are all great brands that if taken care of will last a lifetime.
Like knives and cookware (IMO) sets of things are usually not a great idea as the manufacturer will always throw in a few not so great items and then charge out the nose.
Did that make sense?

Yeah, it totally made sense to me, and I agree. In fact, the set thing applies to a lot of different products.

If it's something you will use a lot then yes, I'd say wait until you can buy the better quality items. Things that you only intend to use on occasion, aren't as important in this aspect (at least not for me).

For example, my heart shaped cake pan. I really didn't even have to buy one, since you can make a heart from a circle and a square. Because it was such a good deal, I just went ahead and picked it up. It's a cheapo, but it works fine, and I use it infrequently.

Reaction score
I have absolutely no decorative shape rings if that's what you call them. You should see the shapes I make for my dog treats. There are quite laughable to tell the truth. Maybe I should invest in some of them for the future. I also agree with buying the best if you can.

Reaction score
Did that make sense?

I am a shopaholic. I know where to get the deals. If I can't find the deals, I do some digging.

Somebody somewhere has what I want at the price I want to pay.

ALL of my NoricWare pans go for retail prices of at least $40.00 each, and up.
I have paid HALF that price or LESS on ALL of my NordicWare specialty pans!
And they were brand new pans, not used ones, not reconditioned ones, not "slightly used" ones...BRAND NEW.

I paid $4.00 for this one pan......
nordic-ware-holiday-wreath-pan-d-20131016131659587~7304721w.jpg

I bought it after Christmas when everything was 80% off!!!!

If you know where to look and when to look, you can find anything you want at a reasonable price.

Reaction score
@ChesterV, I think you have to take me shopping with you. You might have to send the ticket though. I always hear people talking about deals but I seem to stumble on the most expensive things all the time. Your $4 pan might be around $100 here if you even have it. That's rought $50 US.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, from thread, it looks as if I'm not the only pan hoarder. I've given some away at this point, since I hadn't used them in years, especially the 'kid shaped' cake pans, but I still have many of those posted above. I love that petit four pan above, but I can see that I'd have issues with it as well. I have jello molds that I use for jello and puddings, and I love them. They hang in my kitchen as decor. I like the suggestion of the spray with flour in it. That can make a big difference.

Reaction score
@ChesterV, I think you have to take me shopping with you. You might have to send the ticket though. I always hear people talking about deals but I seem to stumble on the most expensive things all the time. Your $4 pan might be around $100 here if you even have it. That's rought $50 US.

Oh wow. Yeah, living on an Island, things get really pricey because of the shipping expenses.
I would assume even if you found something really cheap online, it would cost three times as much to ship it to you.

I don't know if you are a traveler or not, but I've worked with people who have lived in small countries or on islands before, and they will save up money to go on vacation and go shopping for all the stuff they want or need, and then ship it to themselves before they leave back home.

If you ever take a trip to Miami, there are TONS of thrift shops, discount shops, and all sorts of places you can get good prices. I don't know about Brazil, but you might check in one of the large cities in Brazil if you ever go there.

Another option....
if you have a friend that you trust really well in the states or in one of the larger countries, you can give them your shopping list, have them buy what you want where there are good prices, and then send them the money for the goods and the shipping.

Of course, you can always come shop with me! LOL

Reaction score
@ChesterV. I am now seeing your last reply. I do travel a bit and Miami is where I go most of the times. I am in the clothing business and used to travel as much as six times a year. Almost always I would ship personal effects home as well. The economy is quite a mess right now so I don't travel nearly as much but I still have to get my clothing from overseas so sometimes I'll shop online. I am just amazed at the variety of pans there are out there.

Reaction score
@ChesterV. I am now seeing your last reply. I do travel a bit and Miami is where I go most of the times. I am in the clothing business and used to travel as much as six times a year. Almost always I would ship personal effects home as well. The economy is quite a mess right now so I don't travel nearly as much but I still have to get my clothing from overseas so sometimes I'll shop online. I am just amazed at the variety of pans there are out there.

If you still go to Miami sometimes, check the thrift shops around the "rich" areas of Miami, especially Goodwill. The rich people around there buy stuff and they get it home, don't like it, so they donate it instead of returning it to the store!!!! (I wish I had THAT kind of money). My sister used to live in Miami, and my brother in law at the time found a brand new designer ski coat, STILL in the original bag for only $75.00!!! And it was $2,500 retail in price!!!

Im sure people do the same with kitchenwares too.

Reaction score
I agree, the thrift shops (and pawn shops, as well) in the ritzier areas are often treasure troves. I used to shop them a bit when I lived up in Houston, and saw some really high end items at steep discounts. Estate sales are another good place to get some deals, especially if you're looking for unusual items, older designs of pans or other cookware. Some of the older items are better made, as well, so could last for years.

Reaction score
I am a shopaholic. I know where to get the deals. If I can't find the deals, I do some digging.

Somebody somewhere has what I want at the price I want to pay.

ALL of my NoricWare pans go for retail prices of at least $40.00 each, and up.
I have paid HALF that price or LESS on ALL of my NordicWare specialty pans!
And they were brand new pans, not used ones, not reconditioned ones, not "slightly used" ones...BRAND NEW.

I paid $4.00 for this one pan......
nordic-ware-holiday-wreath-pan-d-20131016131659587~7304721w.jpg

I bought it after Christmas when everything was 80% off!!!!

If you know where to look and when to look, you can find anything you want at a reasonable price.
My god that’s a nice bundt

Ask a Question