Leche Flan

Reaction score
Leche means milk so the name implies that it is a flan made of milk. The recipe is simple with just a few ingredients - evaporated milk, egg yolks, sugar, flavoring of vanilla or lemon. The ingredients are mixed together and blended before putting in a steamer. A friend said that it can also be cooked in an oven if you have no steamer although the flan is quite dry that's why steaming is preferred for a better texture. The pie pan used is oval or elongated. I can finish one pan of leche flan.

Reaction score
I love leche flan! :) I could also eat a whole oval piece of it. Even my little boy loves it and when we make them, he's really very excited to eat. Here's a picture I got from pinterest to give others an idea on how it looks like:
images

Reaction score
Here in the United States, we just call it flan, although it's understood that it's made with milk. I've had various versions of it, and it seems each country/culture that makes it, makes it in a slightly different way. I've had Mexican flan, which was the first flan I've tasted. I've had coworkers from the Dominican Republic and other Hispanic countries that made it slightly differently, and it's usually a lot sweeter than what I was first accustomed to. I have never had a flan I didn't enjoy.

I've tried a few recipes over the years. I had a recipe that was scrumptious, but unfortunately, i lost it in a move. I haven't made it in a while, since eggs have gone up in price, but I will definitely make it again, probably when the weather cools off, since it has to be cooked in the oven. The way I've seen it done here, is to cook it in the oven in a metal mold, set inside of another pan containing water, to obtain that steam effect.

Ask a Question