Mad Skills for Cake Decorating

Reaction score
I would say that my cake decorating/cupcake decorating skills are just okay. I too get a bit addicted to pinterest and I end up comparing my own skills to super master cake decorators -- and I end up feeling a little defeated by what they can do compared to what I can do! I do find Pinterest is a wonderful source for ideas and inspiration though...generally speaking if I need an idea for a cake or cupcakes I go there as my first point of reference to get some sort of framework for what I plan to do. Sometimes they turn out well...sometimes it ends up being a bit of a "Pinterest fail", but it's all a bit of fun! Plus I just enjoy learning and trying to improve my skills so that's a good thing too!

Yep, that's a great attitude. I guess if we just have fun with it, we can eventually get better at it over time. After all, nobody starts out being able to do that stuff. They have to learn and practice too.

So many creative ideas, though. Too little time!

Reaction score
I am a Pinterest-aholic! I love Pinterest so much that I finally had to limit myself to just 10 or 15 minutes a day at the end of the evening! It was to the point where I'd start scrolling, and then before I knew it, I'd look up and it was 2 hours later. Now, I'm much better about my online time and not spending too much time. Also, I used to feel the same way about the beautiful cakes, cookies and cupcakes and how well they were decorated compared to how I do it. Not anymore! There are only so many things a person can be truly great at ... decorating of any sort is not something I'm great at, and I'm ok with that :)

Reaction score
That is so true. I can get lost on Pinterest, and completely lose track of time. For baking, yes, but for all kinds of other things too. It's just crazy how fast the time can go by if you're not paying attention. I need to put a Pinterest alarm on my phone that yells at me when it's time to get off of there. haha

Reaction score
Well before this forum I would not have had a clue about what it was. I might have thought it was 'pins to interest' people. Now I get carried away myself. Most of the pictures seem picture perfect. Some days when I have a good result in the kitchen you should see me trying to plate the dish correctly and take some pictures that are exciting like the ones you see on Pinterest. Look at this.

multi-dimensional-cake-decorating-with-Bitterroot-wedding-cake-by-CakeBoxSpecial-Occasion-Cakes-left-and-via-Pinterest-right.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, those are beautiful. I hear ya. When I have success, I want pictures of it... for proof! haha.

An old friend of mine could brag on Pinterest all day with the beautiful stuff she can make. She's even made a wedding cake before. No matter how hard I try, you can always tell that mine are homemade. Sometimes, my decorated cakes or shaped cakes aren't too terrible, but they never look "professional."

Reaction score
Wow, those are beautiful. I hear ya. When I have success, I want pictures of it... for proof! haha.

An old friend of mine could brag on Pinterest all day with the beautiful stuff she can make. She's even made a wedding cake before. No matter how hard I try, you can always tell that mine are homemade. Sometimes, my decorated cakes or shaped cakes aren't too terrible, but they never look "professional."
For me it's like going to the hairdresser. You try to do hair at home and it never looks as though you've gone to the salon. My hairdresser says it's the reason they call her the hairdresser. The professionals are just that; professional bakers. Maybe one day you'll get there. I can't say I am going to be rushing to catch you.

Reaction score
I may say that I am not a super skilled at decorating cakes. And I did tried only baking cakes with simple and easy decorations. I also love searching, googling and looking all the recipes and pictures in Pinterest. They are all interesting to give a try. But it is just frustrating and sad to know that I cannot give a try to some of their recipes sometimes due to lack of the right skills in decorating cakes, the, ingredients and the time as well.

Reaction score
For me it's like going to the hairdresser. You try to do hair at home and it never looks as though you've gone to the salon. My hairdresser says it's the reason they call her the hairdresser. The professionals are just that; professional bakers. Maybe one day you'll get there. I can't say I am going to be rushing to catch you.

Nope, that's never going to happen. I'll be happy just to bake a few cute or pretty cakes and cupcakes for my family for special occasions. It would take lots of practice for me to develop such cake decorating skills, which means being surrounded by all that sugary goodness all the time. I'm weak when it comes to sweets, so I don't need all that extra temptation!

Reaction score
I took a couple of cake decorating classes years ago, and came up with some nice designs. I don't have the need/time/energy for that these days, but I still admire what other people come up with, and certainly admire beauty when I see it. All the better if it tastes yummy, too. If you're looking for something easier and impressive at the same time, you could try this cake (or any cake, really) with the lace collar. Although the collar looks difficult to make, I saw it made before, and it's actually a lot less time consuming than some other cake decorating designs.

Reaction score
I took a couple of cake decorating classes years ago, and came up with some nice designs. I don't have the need/time/energy for that these days, but I still admire what other people come up with, and certainly admire beauty when I see it. All the better if it tastes yummy, too. If you're looking for something easier and impressive at the same time, you could try this cake (or any cake, really) with the lace collar. Although the collar looks difficult to make, I saw it made before, and it's actually a lot less time consuming than some other cake decorating designs.

It would be a lot of fun for me, since I love creative stuff. I would enjoy a cake decorating class. The problem is that I am far too tempted by home baked goodies. I'd be eating all my practice materials, haha. I don't need all that sugar. Sugar, while delicious, is poison.

Hi. My name is Zyni, and I'm a sugarholic.

Reaction score
Congrats Diane Lane to have that under your belt. I don't think I would be interested in something like that. I would have to have endless time available to me. I'd much rather a short pastry class or something like that. I don't want Trellum in that either.

At this time I think she needs Sugar Rehab as her post reflects. Hi, I am Anne and I approve this message.

Ask a Question