Magic cake recipes

Reaction score
Anyone here heard of 'Magic Cake' before?!

I hadn't until I was in a bookshop yesterday and saw Magic Cakes by Christelle Huet-Gomez. I had a flick through the book and it looks intriguing! Basically you make up a cake batter, and it separates into three layers as it is baked - a genoise sponge on the top, a cream layer in the middle, and a dense moist base.

There is more information about it here, together with some of the recipes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/magic-cake-recipes/

I'm very tempted to give one of these a try! Have you tried anything similar?

Reaction score
Hmmm just had a look on Amazon and it certainly has mixed reviews - the more recent ones are very negative, which doesn't sound great. I'm tempted to give one of the recipes a try though and see for myself!

Reaction score
That sounds like the same type of recipe used for "molten" cakes....where the batter bakes on the edges and not in the middle, so it's runny when you cut into it.

I've heard of a cake like this before, but I don't think it was called a "magic" cake.

Reaction score
I've heard of cakes that separate when cooked, I can't remember though what they were referred to as -- but I do love the idea that you just make one batter and then it does the rest for you as it cooks! Plus, I'm a big fan of cakes that have interesting/different textures to them, so this sounds like it would appeal to me because of that.

Ask a Question