melted homemade frosting

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of butter cream frosting. After I whipped it up I put it on my cupcakes but by the time I was done frosting the second cupcake, I looked over and noticed the frosting was dripping down the side of the first cupcake! I put the frosting in the fridge for a few hours, but once it hit room temperature again, it was melty once more! I tried to add more confectioners sugar, but I'm not sure what else to do in the future to make the frosting more whippy and less drippy. Any ideas?
20140323_121306.jpg

Reaction score
What recipe did you use? Usually with buttercream there is only a very small amount of butter compared with the amount of icing sugar, so it's never usually runny. Adding cream cheese can make frosting go runny though!

Reaction score
I think you used too much butter. It will continue to melt at room temperature if you use more than the recommended amount of butter.

Reaction score
Well, there may be quite a few reasons for dripping. One is that you may have over filled it. When you prepare frostings, make sure it becomes a paste to stand on the cupcake and not too liquid.

Reaction score
Your ratios are off. Use more powdered sugar and less butter. Review your recipe again you may have missed something.

Reaction score
Posting the recipe would help a lot. From the looks of it though, I may have to agree with loraanna. Aside from being a butter issue or a temperature issue, we can't really narrow down a culprit without having the recipe for comparison.

Reaction score
Wait for your cupcakes to completely cool. My frosting always gets like that when the cupcakes are still warm. It's tempting to just put it on and eat but one should always wait. It's worth it.

Ask a Question