Mixes in a Jar

Reaction score
I use to be real into making my own mixes and having them on hand for easy access to make the cakes, brownies, breads or cookies that I wanted. I have been out of that habit for several years and I am trying to start it again. I could certainly use a little encouragement. Does anyone else do this?

Reaction score
I've not done it myself, but I've often seen people selling them at artisan markets here in the UK. It looks like a really good idea - all you need to do it add the wet ingredients, mix and bake :)

Reaction score
I'd love to make mixes out of some of my Christmas cookies, but I'd actually wanted to try experimenting with adding, for example, powdered sour cream instead of requiring the recipient to have sour cream on hand. (Though I see nothing wrong with expecting them to have eggs on hand.)

Reaction score
I've never tried it myself but from what I gather, it's becoming quite popular. Especially since you can dress the jars up nicely and give them as gifts (I've also seen cookie dough in a jar done like this)! :D

Reaction score
I've not done it myself, but I've often seen people selling them at artisan markets here in the UK. It looks like a really good idea - all you need to do it add the wet ingredients, mix and bake :)

Yes I see lots of people give them as gifts. I have 2 cook books dedicated to gifts in a jar and they are great. Easy to keep around the house and use here with the kids and also easy to put cute labels on, add some pretty cloth and a ribbon at the top.

I'd love to make mixes out of some of my Christmas cookies, but I'd actually wanted to try experimenting with adding, for example, powdered sour cream instead of requiring the recipient to have sour cream on hand. (Though I see nothing wrong with expecting them to have eggs on hand.)

Yes Christmas is such a busy time for baking around here too. I would also like to try this. A few of the recipes that call for powdered milk to be added to the ingredients. I have done this on several occasions. Now after this I am feeling encouraged to go and mix up a bunch of mixes! LOL Thank you Soliloquy!

I've never tried it myself but from what I gather, it's becoming quite popular. Especially since you can dress the jars up nicely and give them as gifts (I've also seen cookie dough in a jar done like this)! :D

Oh yes it is so nice to be able to give brownie, cake and cookie mixes like this on holidays. I normally bake cookies for my family during Christmas and sometimes I just don't have the time to complete them all and when that happens I give them the jars.

Reaction score
That would definitely be way more convenient than having to take the extra time to mix all of the ingredients together! I also bet the mixes end up more unique since you can take the time to focus on just the mixes during one point in time, and then bake them later so you don't feel rushed. I live in New Hampshire in the woods basically, so the only thing I'd worry about is ants. You'd be surprised at how easily they weasel their way into closed jars around here!

Reaction score
That would definitely be way more convenient than having to take the extra time to mix all of the ingredients together! I also bet the mixes end up more unique since you can take the time to focus on just the mixes during one point in time, and then bake them later so you don't feel rushed. I live in New Hampshire in the woods basically, so the only thing I'd worry about is ants. You'd be surprised at how easily they weasel their way into closed jars around here!

Oh Wow! The ants in your neck of the woods are smart enough to weasel their way into jars. Keep them up there! I don't want our ants to get that smart. They already take over the house if given half a chance. If you are into natural cleaners (I clean with vinegar water) ants are not able to penetrate the vinegar barrier. Here is a link for all natural ant deterrents for inside of your home. Good luck with this!

http://smallnotebook.org/2010/04/21/5-simple-natural-ant-control-remedies/

Reaction score
I have never tried it myself, but what an ingenious time saver when you are getting ready to bake. How long will it keep in the jars?

Reaction score
I have never tried it myself, but what an ingenious time saver when you are getting ready to bake. How long will it keep in the jars?

The book I have is titled "Make A Mix" cookbook and they have recipes for large batches that can be kept for up to 6 months in the right conditions. Most of the mixes have the shortening cut in already.

I also have several gift jar giving recipes for cookies/brownies/cakes/soups etc with only the dry mix in them and they should last 6 months or longer as well. I would think that it would depend on where you were able to keep it. If you kept it in your cabinets (cool dry area) it should last longer than 6 months really.

Reaction score
I absolutely love preparing mixes ahead of time and storing them. Makes things a million times easier once it's time to start cooking/baking. I do it for so many foods too, it's so handy. I always take my fave recipes too and package them super pretty to gift them.. usually something someone has complimented and asked for the recipe for or something new I died over lol. I'll usually put them in a basket with some homemade chocolates and cookies etc; it's a hit!

Reaction score
I absolutely love preparing mixes ahead of time and storing them. Makes things a million times easier once it's time to start cooking/baking. I do it for so many foods too, it's so handy. I always take my fave recipes too and package them super pretty to gift them.. usually something someone has complimented and asked for the recipe for or something new I died over lol. I'll usually put them in a basket with some homemade chocolates and cookies etc; it's a hit!

Oiy I wish I was creative when it came to making gift baskets and such! I never seem to get them to look right. It drives me nuts. You are fortunate that you can be creative and make such neat gift baskets!

Reaction score
I dont do this for my own use . I like to make my mixes fresh. However I have made cake and cookie mixes in a jar as gifts for don't bake from scratch. I attach a list of wet inngredients and baking instructions. I find pretty jars from the dollar store and tie them with a fancy bow. They are always a big hit.

Reaction score
I dont do this for my own use . I like to make my mixes fresh. However I have made cake and cookie mixes in a jar as gifts for don't bake from scratch. I attach a list of wet inngredients and baking instructions. I find pretty jars from the dollar store and tie them with a fancy bow. They are always a big hit.

Yes I think that they do make great gifts and I am always happy to be on the receiving end. I think it is an easy way to create gifts, especially at Christmas. I have done this a few times for people who I know will appreciate the gift. It makes their day.

Reaction score
I've actually never made any of these and I never even thought of making them for myself. However, I do know that the cookies in a jar or cake in a jar are something that is really popular as a Christmas gift for teachers and such in our area.

I thought about doing something similar for my kid's teachers this year. I was going to do a single mug cake but I didn't get around to doing it. I love the idea that you are making a single serving cake that can be baked in the microwave with that idea.

Reaction score
I've actually never made any of these and I never even thought of making them for myself. However, I do know that the cookies in a jar or cake in a jar are something that is really popular as a Christmas gift for teachers and such in our area.

I thought about doing something similar for my kid's teachers this year. I was going to do a single mug cake but I didn't get around to doing it. I love the idea that you are making a single serving cake that can be baked in the microwave with that idea.

Yes dorannmwin you should try it. Start out small and work your way up. The microwave cake idea sounds perfect and is actually giving me ideas! That would be a neat Christmas basket gift. Put the ingredients in the coffee mug instead of a mason jar and make it cute with ribbons and such. Neat idea. Now you have my brain spinning in an entirely different way! Thanks!

Reaction score
I have done this for a quick and easy gift for my neighbors and they always seem to love it. I have actually never used one myself and don't have them on hand. I don't have a lot of storage space so I have to keep my ingredients separate.

Reaction score
I made cookie mix in a jar for Christmas gifts this year. They went over pretty well by those who received them.

I messed up my first jar by putting the white sugar in before the brown sugar. Since white doesn't pack it fell through the chocolate chips/candies. I was going to leave the jar that way because I caught it before you could really tell I had made a mistake but my OCD just couldn't let that happen. So I ended up making a test batch of the cookies with that particular jars contents (each person got a different kind of cookie). They were amazingly good! I'm not a huge cookie fan but I found myself grabbing a cookie whenever I went to the kitchen.

I'd never really thought of making mixes for my own use but I think it's a pretty good idea. Definite time saver, that's for sure.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have heard of this, but have never tried it myself. I might try it, since I love collecting jars. I would probably mess up the layer order, at first, too. I like how your jars turned out, LivetoErr.

Reaction score
Thanks Bella. I found them really fun to make.

The hardest time I had was printing out those labels. It took 3 sheets and reading the instructions 3 times to get them half decent.

I'd love to have a collection of jars. I have no idea where to find them here and if I recall, if you find the jars you won't find the lids. I think they'd be a little item I could sell here for extra money, so that's kind of a bummer.

Reaction score
I always thought this idea was really neat. You can have your homemade things (or give them to someone!) without all the fuss of measuring the dry ingredients. I was going to give some away as gifts, but I didn't get a chance to. Oh well! I did do this with pancake mix, though.

Ask a Question