Need Advice on making Nut Bars

Reaction score
I'm about to try making some Nut Bars - and need to ask some Questions on Ingredients amount ratio.
1-question - is it true that the ingredient making it stay firm- is the Sugar & Honey ?
My Baking Tray is 23cm x 32cm in size
2- How much volume for the Nuts ? 2-3 cups ???

3-How much Sugar & Honey should I use ??? and Yes- I want them crunchy - I heard you use Less sugar/honey if you want chewy.

I found out that the oven should be about 350 degree - baking for 30 minutes - but I have seen different variations of this.

Reaction score
Sugars are hygroscopic, so they will pull water from the environment. So no matter what type of sugar you use (sugar, honey, brown rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, etc.,) the bars will be sticky.

recipe I use, can’t remember where it’s from, but it’s 5 or 6 yrs old.

Kind bar copycat recipe

• MIXTURE:
  • 2 cups whole roasted* unsalted almonds
  • 3/4 cup whole roasted* unsalted peanuts
  • 3/4 cup roasted* walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup puffed millet, rice (or other puffed whole grain; or crispy brown rice cereal)
  • 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
  • FOR SYRUP:
  • 1/2 cup honey**
  • 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • FOR CHOCOLATE DRIZZLES:
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips**
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable, grapeseed, or coconut oil

Directions

Grease/spray large bowl, 9x13 baking sheet/pan, wooden spoon or rubber spatula, and bottom of drinking glass. Set aside.

------------------------

*IF NUTS AREN'T ALREADY ROASTED:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on large baking sheet and bake for 10 min. until lightly toasted and fragrant.

------------------------

Add toasted nuts to large bowl. Add puffed rice/millet and flaxseed meal. Stir to combine; set aside.

In 1-1/2 or 2 quart saucepan, combine honey, rice syrup, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and vanilla over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 260 degrees (hard ball stage) on a candy thermometer. Immediately, pour mixture over nut mixture, stir until evenly coated. Quickly transfer to greased/sprayed 9x13 pan, use hands to spread mixture evenly in pan; press the mixture to close in holes and distribute evenly all over the pan. Using bottom of greased/sprayed drinking glass to tap and compact mixture in pan. Sprinkle top with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Let cool 20 minutes. While still slightly warm, invert pan on cutting board and tap until mixture falls out in one piece. Cut into 20 bars. (If they cool too much and become too hard or brittle to cut easily, put in warm oven for 1-2 minutes to soften; proceed with cutting.) Allow bars to cool completely before proceeding with chocolate drizzles.

FOR CHOCOLATE DRIZZLES: Add chocolate chips and oil to microwave safe bowl. Cook on high power in 20 second intervals, stirring each time, just until last chips melt into mixture (approx. 60 seconds total). Use fork or squeeze bottle to drizzle chocolate over nut bars. Let cool until chocolate hardens.

STORAGE TIP: Store in airtight container with parchment paper between layers. For take-along convenience, use parchment paper pieces to wrap individual bars burrito-style. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week. May refrigerate to extend storage or if firmer, less sticky bars are preferred. May be frozen, too.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION for one bar: 193 calories, 12.5g fat, 95mg sodium, 18.9g carbs, 2.1g fiber, 14.2g sugars, 5.2g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6

**FOR VEGAN VERSION, use all brown rice syrup and vegan chocolate chips.

Reaction score
thanks for your recipe - with that amount I would use 2 of my baking trays.

Ask a Question