Orange Chiffon Cake Mix?

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have an ice cream cake recipe that was my grandmother's and it calls for orange chiffon cake mix. I can't seem to find it anywhere, even online. Any tips?

Reaction score
I have not seen a orange chiffon , but do you think it would work just to substitute a regular orange cake mix?

Reaction score
I haven't seen regular orange cake mix either, so what I did was substitute some of the water that they call for in the white cake mix for orange juice. I also added a teaspoon of orange extract and some orange zest. Overall, pretty tasty!

Reaction score
Stanfordsarah - Hi. I did an internet search and didn't find anything for orange chiffon cake mix, but there are a whole lot of recipes to make it from scratch. Sounds like you hit upon an excellent solution with the orange juice. extract, and zest.

I wonder how it would be with a lemon cake mix with the orange juice and zest. Interesting. Or... pineapple juice. Uh, oh! I am getting ideas! I'm going to gain 25 pounds! :D

Reaction score
I am thinking that being that it's an ice cream cake that you're making it wouldn't make much of a difference if you make the orange chiffon cake from scratch....as a matter of fact i can't remember ever seeing a cake mix of this flavor.
Here is a recipe that i found online:
  • Cake:
  • 2 1/4 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar $
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 large eggs, plus 1 white, at room temperature $
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup fresh orange juice $
  • 3 tablespoons grated orange zest $
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice $
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
Preparation
  1. Make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Sift flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Separate eggs. Whisk yolks, oil, juice, zest and vanilla. Whisk oil mixture into flour mixture.
  2. Beat whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar; beat until firm. Beat in 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until peaks form. Fold 1/4 of whites into batter; add remaining whites.
  3. Bake in an ungreased 10-inch tube pan 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Invert pan over neck of a bottle to cool. When cool, run a knife around edges to remove cake. Place on a rack.
  4. Make glaze: Stir juice into sugar; drizzle over top of cake and down sides.

Reaction score
I'm with the other posters...a regular orange might be just as well? I don't know that I've seen one for orange chiffon specifically.

Reaction score
I have never heard of orange flavored cake mix,but my mother would make her own orange cake with concentrated orange jucie and some zest. You just add those things to a white or yellow cake mix.

Ask a Question