Pattern swiss roll cakes

Reaction score
I have a question about piping designs on parchment before adding a thick cake batter on top. You have to spray the parchment or it sticks to the cake but makes piping the pattern before hand nearly impossible because it doesn't want to stick.

Reaction score
You don't need to spray the baking parchment paper.

Parchment paper manufactured for baking is coated, so it will release from the design.

If you have extremely fine line details (not advisable) and your design batter is extremely thick, and you feel the need to spray the parchment paper with baking spray, then wipe it down with a paper towel to remove excess.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. As I am a pastry chef with no formal training, I learn by failing. I will try this next week.

Failure is your best teacher. I purchase the full size sheets by Prime Source. They are quillon coated.

There’s posts on the Internet that say quillon is bad, that it's toxic.

That’s based on incinerating it.

Everything emits toxic fumes when incinerated--a piece of wood, dried grass, a piece of paper, even unbleached parchment paper. No matter what is incinerated, it’s going to emit toxic fumes so it’s false to say unbleached parchment paper is not toxic.

All paper when incinerated will release toxic chemicals. When we bake, we do not incinerate the parchment paper. So we are not releasing toxic fumes.

These posts also say unbleached parchment paper is chemical free. Which is not true, all parchment paper requires sulfuric acid bath. And whether parchment paper is bleached or unbleached it also has to go through chemical processing to be coated.

A lot of posts also claim there is dioxin exposure in bleached parchment paper. Again, this is hyperbole. Back in the 80s a study was published in which minute traces of dioxin were detected in paper pulp that is used in consumer products from Toilet paper, disposable diapers, food packaging, tampons, etc.

The traces are so small they do not pose a health risk. You’re at far more risk of breathing the air which is full of pollutants from burning fossil fuels; breathing in a room with an appliance that uses combustion fuels, these include your oven, dryer, furnace, fireplace, space heater, and more.

There’s far more risk to your health using your oven every day then there is using a sheet of parchment paper.

Reaction score
To protect parchment paper from sticking to the cake batter while piping a design, you can lightly grease the parchment paper with a non-stick cooking spray or a thin layer of butter. This should allow you to pipe your pattern easily without the parchment sticking to the batter. In this way you use parchment paper for baking. Hope this is helpful for you.

Reaction score
I have a question about piping designs on parchment before adding a thick cake batter on top. You have to spray the parchment or it sticks to the cake but makes piping the pattern before hand nearly impossible because it doesn't want to stick.
try this,

Ask a Question