Piping words on Cool Whip or stabilized whipped cream

Reaction score
I have a delicious pumpkin cake that I would like to ice with cool whip or (alternatively) stabilized whipped cream. The cake itself is rich, so I usually don't ice it at all, but this is for a birthday cake, so I need to pipe words on the cake. Any ideas about how I can pipe words on the cool whip? My thought is that gel icing would bleed.

Reaction score
Dream Whip works better if you want a whipped frosting. And it's stable enough to decorate or or with.
You can make it with milk, cream, or water if you are lactose intolerant.

Real whipped cream will work as well, but you have to keep the cake cool. When whipping the cream, just add 2 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding to it. The pudding will stabilize the whipped cream so it is workable for decoration and to frost a cake with. (2 tablespoons per pint of whipping cream).

If you live in a city, you can usually get some BetterCreme from a grocery store bakery. You can get it in liquid form from them and whip it at home. This is what they use for cakes where people don't like buttercream on them.
Be warned though, its very sweet.

You could also use a stiff meringue. There are some good recipes for stiff meringues for decorating, this too would hold up on a cake. You can use a Brulee torch on it so you dont have to put the whole thing in the oven.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I might try my hand at the whipped cream with the added pudding.

Ask a Question