Plantain Tarts for Everybody!

Reaction score
plantain tarts.jpg

Plantain tarts are more or less a Jamaican delicacy! It's the perfect balance between the flaky, savory crust, and the jelly-like filling that could cater to any sweet-tooth.

So, what you'll need to do is start with making the dough! (Or, you can choose the easier option of buying a pre-made dough if you so choose).
But if you're sticking with making the dough homemade, then you'll need about two cups of flour, enough margarine to bind the flour together, and then a few teaspoons of ice-cold water, to further the binding process. You should also add a pinch of salt, to add some flavor to the dough.
It's great if you can use a mixing machine to mix out this dough mixture, until it's flaky. Then, form it into a ball. Then, it's time to work on your patience, because you'll need to wait about half an hour for the dough to be ready.

Then, you get started on the filling! Cut up the plantains (which is the "cousin" of the banana, but longer and fatter). Cut 'em up into small pieces, then heat a pot with some butter/margarine; add the plantains, then about quarter cup of granulated sugar. Add a touch of red food coloring (to get that authentic "plantain-tart-look").

Cut the dough up into small pieces, according to your desired serving size, add the filling, fold 'em over like what you see in the pic, and then brush the tops with melted butter/margarine or milk.
Bake in a 350-degree oven, for about fifteen minutes, or until golden brown. You can poke holes in the tops of the plantain tarts, before you bake 'em.

Tell me if you've tried this recipe, and how it's worked for you. If you know about plantain tarts already, do you like 'em?

Let me know!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks yummy, but no recipe to share? Come on, don't leave us hanging like that! ;)

Reaction score
Lol, that's my bad! I definitely had written something and then somehow it got deleted! Working on it again! Coming right up JessiFox!

Reaction score
Haha figured it was a technical difficulty of some manner...well thank you for the recipe part ;) sounds awesome!

Reaction score
Plantains are not something you think of when making tarts. I normaly just fry them with salt pepper and Adobo.It is nice to have a new recipe to try out.

Reaction score
I'm out-of-this-world excited and overjoyed that you guys like the recipe! I'm glad I was able to introduce something new and exotic to you, and I'm vying to continue this trend as the time progresses. I like sharing in this format, and I love the vibrant and knowledgeable exchange of information.
If you guys have any recipe that you even think might exist, but you're just not sure someone has been "brave enough to try that out yet", then I invite and encourage you, to just send me a link, whether by comment or message, and ask me to either find it for you, or to test it out myself. Even if it's from scratch...I'm going to freely supply the ingredients AND measurements!

Peace!

Reaction score
Wow! It's great to know that they are so affordable in Fl! This recipe looks great too! It features simple ingredients, and yet it looks so tasty! Thanks for the suggestion! I've always had some interest in Cuban food, and Latin American food in general. I love the flair and excitement of that culture, and I'd like to visit AND test these recipes and cuisine out!
Thanks again!

Ask a Question