Tarts

Reaction score
Have any of you attempted to make a tart before? I watched Master Chef last week and the challenge was to make a fruit tart and they looked very good. You basically make a custard filled pie and top it off with fruits and berries and then glaze it. I want to try to make one, but half of the contestants on the show failed at making theirs and I wonder if they really are hard to make?

Reaction score
Tarts don't have to have a custard filling, they can go straight from the bottom crust to fruit filling, kind of like an open faced pie, but shaped a little differently. I haven't made a dessert tart before, but a couple of times a year I make a savory tart. It has a shortbread crust, a layer of basil and goat cheese, and then topped with an arrangement of zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and onion.

If you plan to make a tart, I recommend getting a tart pan:
315Joc6sm6L.jpg

When the tart is done cooking, you just push the center of the pan up and the outer ring will slip off below. It is much easier to display your tart and to cut and serve it, and you get the nice, pretty edges.

Reaction score
I love specialty pans like that. I have one similar to the one pictured, as well as a clay one that's all in one piece. I often use the clay one for quiches, but have used it for sweet tarts, as well. I haven't made a tart in quite a while, although I have been craving one. I love the fruit tarts La Madeleine makes. At one workplace, we used to get those whenever someone had a birthday, and it was always a treat.

Here's a copycat recipe I found for their fruit tarts, in case anyone wants to try making one. http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2012/JUL/37487.html

Reaction score
hello everybody, is there any one who can help me where i can buy the treacle or molasses. thank you very much.
treacle.jpg
images (1).jpg
treacle.jpg
treacle.jpg images (1).jpg

Reaction score
Tarts don't have to have a custard filling, they can go straight from the bottom crust to fruit filling, kind of like an open faced pie, but shaped a little differently. I haven't made a dessert tart before, but a couple of times a year I make a savory tart. It has a shortbread crust, a layer of basil and goat cheese, and then topped with an arrangement of zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and onion.

If you plan to make a tart, I recommend getting a tart pan:
315Joc6sm6L.jpg

When the tart is done cooking, you just push the center of the pan up and the outer ring will slip off below. It is much easier to display your tart and to cut and serve it, and you get the nice, pretty edges.

That's a beautiful pan! I saw one just like that at wal-mart the other day, it's a shame I didn't buy it. I have never felt that keen to try tarts, because since I was little I always connected the word tart to ''fruit pies'' basically, lol.

Reaction score
Where do you live lotlot? That might assist in someone helping you in the right direction.
thank you cupcakechef, i am here in Philippines now. i been looking for this product here but i coud'nt find it, i am planning to make an stroopwafel it is a dutch delight.

Reaction score
@lotlot as @cupcakechef said, it would help to know where you live, but here's a basic Google search. As you can see, there are ads for the British Food Depot, as well as Amazon, so both sell black treacle. Whether they ship to your country I can't say, though. https://www.google.com/#q=black treacle
Hi diane lane thank you for the reply, i am here in Phil, i am planning to make an stroopwafels is it a dutch delight, i couldnt find it here. , wow the vid. you sent to me was a bit scary.. but i didnt know there is a black treacle music vedio thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
thank you cupcakechef, i am here in Philippines now. i been looking for this product here but i coud'nt find it, i am planning to make an stroopwafel it is a dutch delight.

I think there are a couple of members on the forum here from the Philippines so hopefully they can point you in the right direction!

Reaction score
Have any of you attempted to make a tart before? I watched Master Chef last week and the challenge was to make a fruit tart and they looked very good. You basically make a custard filled pie and top it off with fruits and berries and then glaze it. I want to try to make one, but half of the contestants on the show failed at making theirs and I wonder if they really are hard to make?

I've never made them myself, but if I'm at a bakery and see them I always order one - they just look so beautiful, fresh and glossy with all that lovely fruit covered in glaze! Plus I am a sucker for anything custard filled, so it really checks all the boxes for me!

Reaction score
@lotlot...Where do you live in the Philippines? When I was still living there I do not buy ingredients in a regular grocery or supermarket. You can check at Rustans or S&R supermarkets they carry imported and not easy to find food items like that treacle or molasses.

Reaction score
Mmmm, now I am really craving a tart! I think I am going to pick up one at the grocery store. I too am a sucker for anything that is custard filled. I also always thought that Asian countries used custard in a lot of their desserts, so I am kinda shocked that they can't be found in the Philippines.

Reaction score
Hi diane lane thank you for the reply, i am here in Phil, i am planning to make an stroopwafels is it a dutch delight, i couldnt find it here. , wow the vid. you sent to me was a bit scary.. but i didnt know there is a black treacle music vedio thank you for sharing.

Haha, I didn't even see the video, I posted the link so you could see where the treacle was sold, and there was also a link there to BBC Food, with Treacle recipes. I had heard of treacle before, but it's called blackstrap molasses. I wasn't aware it was the same thing until I looked at the google link.

Ask a Question