Pork pie liquid spilling out

Reaction score
hi everyone. I've been struggling with a pork and egg gala pie recipe as about an hour into baking it, liquid from the filling spills out through either the steam holes or through the join between the pastry lid and sides. What can I do to stop this as the appearance of the pie is spoiled. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear about your pork pie issues. Do you have a link to the recipe? Pork pies are prone to these kind of problems unfortunately, but in my opinion it just adds to the homemade look ;)

Reaction score
Got to admit I love the rustic, home made look too - but that's good to know that your butcher suggested it may just be as a result of overfilling. Hopefully that advice fixes the problems!

Reaction score
OMG! Paul Hollywood!!! What a sexy man!

OOOPS! Did I say that out loud????:eek::D

Well, the meats and the shallots are going to have a lot of moisture in them.
I would do what I could to either squeeze the moisture out of them before processing or tightly wrap them in lint free towels for a couple of hours, so the towels will soak up some of the moisture.

You could also add one tablespoon of flour to the meat mixture. That would help soak up some of the liquid while baking, but I don't know if it would affect the taste or not.

Ask a Question