Problem with making a cake into a bigger size

Reaction score
I am trying to use a larger cake pan for a cake that I’m making and having issues !!!
I’m making the batter the same as if I was making the recipe for the 3 9 inch pans (because the extra batter will be going into a cupcake pan) but having an issue with the center falling when trying to convert to a 12 inch pan.
Please help with any suggestions it’s for a wedding cake .

Reaction score
I am trying to use a larger cake pan for a cake that I’m making and having issues !!!
I’m making the batter the same as if I was making the recipe for the 3 9 inch pans (because the extra batter will be going into a cupcake pan) but having an issue with the center falling when trying to convert to a 12 inch pan.
To prevent your cake from sinking in the center I suggest to reduce the batter, preheat your oven, use a cake strip, bake longer, and don't overmix. that is what i would do. But also check if you have the right amount of ingredients. I am now using cake converter for this and it helps: https://ilovethisshop.com.au/cake-calculator/

Last edited:
Reaction score

1) use metric weight as that is the only method to ensure exact and accurate ratios of each ingredient to the flour

2) cakes 10” and larger require a heating core. 10” cake requires 1 core; 12” - 14” cake needs 3 cores; larger than 14” requires 4.

There are a number of causes for sinking cake. if the recipe works for 9 inch cakes, then most likely the cause is an underrated center. The only way to properly bake the center of large cakes is with a heating core. The heating core conducts heat to the center of the cake while providing support while the batter bakes. It's the same principle of a tube pan.

Heating cores.
IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4319.jpeg

Ask a Question