Pie Crust Problem

SHA

Reaction score
I prepared a butter pie crust and prebaked first with pie weights and then when I took those off to brown the bottom, the crust lifted off the plate by about a quarter of in inch. What can I do to prevent this (it made the shell depth too shallow) ?

Reaction score
I prepared a butter pie crust and prebaked first with pie weights and then when I took those off to brown the bottom, the crust lifted off the plate by about a quarter of in inch. What can I do to prevent this (it made the shell depth too shallow) ?

lower oven temperature 325°F – 350°F; longer bake time 1 hour+; use rice or sugar as weight and fill foil lined shell as these spread evenly; don’t remove weights

How to properly blind bake crust

Reaction score
lower oven temperature 325°F – 350°F; longer bake time 1 hour+; use rice or sugar as weight and fill foil lined shell as these spread evenly; don’t remove weights

How to properly blind bake crust

Thanks for the link! It's a big help. Loved how the pie crust turned out. Used some of the sugar in the filling and love the added flavor of the toasted sugar.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! It's a big help. Loved how the pie crust turned out. Used some of the sugar in the filling and love the added flavor of the toasted sugar.

Glad you found it useful.

If you bake pies with fruit that have a high water content, try Stella Parks tapioca starch method for thickening filling. It works like a dream for fruit like blueberry and cherry.

It’s the only method I now use for thickening fruit filling.

Reaction score
Glad you found it useful.

If you bake pies with fruit that have a high water content, try Stella Parks tapioca starch method for thickening filling. It works like a dream for fruit like blueberry and cherry.

It’s the only method I now use for thickening fruit filling.

Norcalbaker59, I found the article you referenced here very interesting, especially the cherry pit whipped cream! Mmmm! Do you do this for peach pie as well, and if so, what would be the sugar/peach/tapioca ratio? I don't have a problem with my apple pies, but peach pies can be very runny. Thank you!

Reaction score
Norcalbaker59, I found the article you referenced here very interesting, especially the cherry pit whipped cream! Mmmm! Do you do this for peach pie as well, and if so, what would be the sugar/peach/tapioca ratio? I don't have a problem with my apple pies, but peach pies can be very runny. Thank you!

Yes, I use this method for peaches since they have a water content of about 88%.

But peaches have about 8% pectin, which acts as a natural thickener. So in a peach pie, I use about 3% tapioca starch to the weight of the fruit.

Apples are very high in natural pectin, so apples do not need a lot of thickener. In an apple pie I use about 1.5% tapioca starch to weight of fruit. More often than not I bake apple hand pies rather than whole pies. So in a whole apple pie, I use a little bit less since there's a lot more apples releasing pectin as it bakes.

Reaction score
To prevent the butter pie crust from lifting off the plate, try these tips:
1) Make sure the dough is well chilled before rolling it out.
2) Roll the crust evenly and avoid stretching it too much.
3) Dock the crust by pricking it with a fork before blind baking.
4) Use parchment paper and pie weights during prebaking.
5) Brush the crust with an egg wash before baking to seal any gaps.
6) Consider using a metal pie plate for better heat distribution.

Ask a Question