Proofing dough with active dry yeast

Reaction score
Ok, I posted in another thread that I wished to switch to instant yeast but had to use up the rest of my active dry. I put it with warm water and a bit of sugar and it foamed up wonderfully. mixed, kneaded, formed, and into the bowl to proof. Almost every recipe says "set in a warm place for 1 hour or double in size" My dough NEVER doubles in under 2-2 1/2 hours. I've tried the oven with the bulb on, near the hearth of the fireplace, on the 70-degree counter, but NEVER get that 1-hour rise. If I do wait until it's doubled, it turns out great bread/rolls, but what is the deal? Temp to start yeast is about 105 Fahrenheit, temp to rise anywhere from 70 degrees to 90 degrees. I cover it with cling wrap, but no luck with speeding up the rise. By the way, I do form it into a tight ball pulling the "skin" tight and tucking underneath, that has helped since I never did that before and the dough would never double no matter how long I waited.

Reaction score
Ok, I posted in another thread that I wished to switch to instant yeast but had to use up the rest of my active dry. I put it with warm water and a bit of sugar and it foamed up wonderfully. mixed, kneaded, formed, and into the bowl to proof. Almost every recipe says "set in a warm place for 1 hour or double in size" My dough NEVER doubles in under 2-2 1/2 hours. I've tried the oven with the bulb on, near the hearth of the fireplace, on the 70-degree counter, but NEVER get that 1-hour rise. If I do wait until it's doubled, it turns out great bread/rolls, but what is the deal? Temp to start yeast is about 105 Fahrenheit, temp to rise anywhere from 70 degrees to 90 degrees. I cover it with cling wrap, but no luck with speeding up the rise. By the way, I do form it into a tight ball pulling the "skin" tight and tucking underneath, that has helped since I never did that before and the dough would never double no matter how long I waited.
70 is too cool, that could almost put it to sleep.
Oven light is also cool unless the oven has gas pilot light.
Try a big pot of boiling water in the oven, reheat if needed.

Reaction score
I had a fire in the fireplace yesterday so put it on the hearth. Have to keep turning it so one side doesn't stay cool, but it is 80-85 degrees there. That took 3 hours and wasn't quite doubled. After forming the rolls and putting them in the pan, put them in the oven with 4 cups of boiling water in the oven and the second rise was much faster. The rolls were fantastic so after all the frustration the crowd loved them.
I've almost resigned myself to slow rises, no problem, they actually taste better than fast-rise bread but I have to start the recipe hours earlier than the recipe states. I'm "hot-blooded" and keep my home at 67 degrees so I always have to find a warm spot to rise dough, Seems the oven/boiling water is the best bet.

My mother and my grandmother made the best homemade bread and rolls that I've ever tasted and they never fussed with digital scales or temperature of the rise. Somehow they got them perfect every time with just a few measuring cups and a tea towel draped over the bowl sitting in a sunny window. Maybe yeast was more robust in the 1960s...

Reaction score
Preheat the oven to 150f...allow it to cool down to 120f.
4 cups of water will just go cold , try at least half a gallon of boiling water. reboil the water after 45 minutes if need be.
warm the bowl in the oven you put the dough in before proofing.
these are all precautions because you aren't aware of how the warmth is being drained out of the dough.

Never underestimate the skill of the person who makes it look easy.

Reaction score
Preheat the oven to 150f...allow it to cool down to 120f.
4 cups of water will just go cold , try at least half a gallon of boiling water. reboil the water after 45 minutes if need be.
warm the bowl in the oven you put the dough in before proofing.
these are all precautions because you aren't aware of how the warmth is being drained out of the dough.

Never underestimate the skill of the person who makes it look easy.
Thanks retired baker...Your last sentence is the wisest thing that I've read in a long time- When someone makes something look easy, it shows their proficiency and not your stupidity.

I want to balance having my bread done in a timely manner with not having it rise so fast that the chemical reactions in the dough don't have enough time to enhance its flavor. Some of the best pizza crust or bread that I've made has an overnight fridge rise for 12 hours. I'm going to attempt some hamburger buns today and will try your suggestions about the water and oven. Alas, I have an electric oven so no help from a pilot light to warm it.

Reaction score
Thanks retired baker...Your last sentence is the wisest thing that I've read in a long time- When someone makes something look easy, it shows their proficiency and not your stupidity.

I want to balance having my bread done in a timely manner with not having it rise so fast that the chemical reactions in the dough don't have enough time to enhance its flavor. Some of the best pizza crust or bread that I've made has an overnight fridge rise for 12 hours. I'm going to attempt some hamburger buns today and will try your suggestions about the water and oven. Alas, I have an electric oven so no help from a pilot light to warm it.
maybe a heat pad or folded elec blanket will help in this cold weather.

Ask a Question