Why so many eggs?

Reaction score
I am looking for a fairly easy (yet from scratch) recipe for a nice, fluffy pumpkin cake.
We have a lot of frozen pumpkin (which I can drain and then works like canned) that I would like to help use up.
In looking, so many recipes call for four eggs.
I am wondering why a pumpkin cake would need SO many eggs.
I find with other things I make with pumpkin that it doesn't need much egg because of properties of the pumpkin.
Does anyone know why recipes call for so many eggs or, do you have a good simple recipe with less eggs needed?
Thank you.

Reaction score
I LOOOOOVE pumpkin ANYTHING!!!! I actually made pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin bread this week and took it to work to share with the other pumpkin fanatics.

Pumpkin is a "heavy" vegetable, meaning it sometimes takes a lot of ingredients to make it turn out in a certain way. The more eggs, the more "fluffy" it will be. The more pumpkin, the more "wet and heavy" it will be. This is why pumpkin "bread" is actually pumpkin cake, minus the extra eggs.

Hope that helps.

635755574489407273-1575289239_download.imgopt1000x70.jpg

Reaction score
The more eggs added to a cake the denser it becomes. My guess is that the cake is supposed to come out dense because of how thick pumpkin puree is ans that is why you need so many eggs. Fluffy cakes like a classic white cake call for fewer eggs because it is supposed to be light and airy.

Reaction score
I think I had only tried eating a pumpkin cake a few times only in my friend house who always love to bake and I have no idea how to bake this kind of cake. I know that a pumpkin is a healthy kind of vegetable that is why this cake is a great choice to try to bake and to eat. Now I learned something new that this kind of cake need so many eggs. And thanks for sharing this post. Very interesting :)

Reaction score
This forum is really informative, as always ChesterV giving us some light. :cool::cool: I also don't know that Pumpkin cake uses that much eggs.

Reaction score
Like what the others say, the eggs dilute the pumpkin and can also enhance the flavor. But if I were to bake that (my orientation is squash because we have no pumpkin here) I guess I would be adding 2 eggs at the most because I wouldn't want my cake tasting very eggy. But thanks for posting this thread. At least I have an idea of what the eggs can do to a cake.

Ask a Question