Scales or Cups: Which is the Best Method of Measurement?

Reaction score
As an European (Dutch, but living in Ireland) browsing through a lot of American recipes I'm often put off by the use of cups as a means of measuring. I know I can convert, but it always creates such a hassle and I find the results are not always accurate.

To me, it seems very odd to use anything other than scales for measuring baking ingredients, as this is how I was taught to do it. I actually own a set of measuring cups but can't get on with them. I always end up making a mess and am never sure whether to pack in the flour etc. Obviously, our American friends are getting good results using cups so it's simply my lack of knowledge on how to use them.

And scales are not perfect either, though the current electric ones are very accurate. Mind, coming from the metric system into a country where a lot of people use imperial has thrown up its own problems.

What's your preferred method of measurement? Scales or cups? Imperial or metric? Or something else entirely?

Reaction score
I have to say, over time I have learned to estimate and have not used the traditional cups in years. I am not sure of the sort of scales you are referring to. Is it a simple kitchen scale or something else?

Reaction score
I guess it has become second nature for me to use measuring cups. I think a scale would end up being more of a hassle according to my own personal preference. It all depends on which method you are used to using. There is no right or wrong way if it gets the results you want.

Flour isn't packed into the measuring cups. Usually the opposite is true and you want the flour sifted so it is loose. Brown sugar, on the other hand, is generally packed into the cup. The recipe instructions will usually let you know.

Reaction score
Recipes that call for ingredients in cup measurements aren't always by weight, sometimes they are by volume - which can be a big difference depending on the shape of the ingredients. A cup of popped pop corn weighs much less than a cup of oil.

I've come across some web sites that will automatically convert measurements for you. There is even a Wordpress plugin that will do this if you are running your own site:

http://codecanyon.net/item/measurem...em&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=edishorul

Reaction score
That's handy, Tom.

You're right. I didn't even think of that when I posted earlier. Here in the US, most of the recipes measure the ingredients by cups and spoons. It isn't typical for many kitchens to even have food scales. The conversions can be tricky.

Reaction score
Oh wow, I've never even considered anything other than measuring cups! I've learned this way so of course it is second nature. Interesting.

Ask a Question