What is your preferred method of measurement?

Reaction score
My husband and I travel so we often come across different methods of measuring ingredients. My preferred method is cups, however, I have now become accustomed to ounces, grams, etc. I am not a fan of weighing my food if I can help it. What is your preferred method?

Reaction score
I prefer measuring out by cups as well, perhaps I'm just used to it. I find that it works just fine for savory dishes and simple cookies. However, I find that measuring ingredients out by weight results in a more consistently turned out product. I haven't tried it with cakes (I bet it would fix my sponge cake issue) but it makes bread-making easier for me.

Reaction score
I have never learned to measure any other way than by cup, or spoon, and it has always worked for me. Sometimes, I have come across recipes that tell you to measure the food in grams, and those are totally incomprehensible to me. i have no idea how to do that, and nothing that I have to measure with that shows the measurement in grams.
I guess it is kind of like the mechanics who have to learn both metric and regular inches for their wrenches.

Reaction score
I don't use a scale to measure, I am told it is a more accurate way to bake ,but most of the recipes i have call for mesurements by volume not weight.
I have a scale so maybe one day I will give it a try.

Reaction score
I measure everything by measuring cup and/or spoon. I have a scale to weigh things on but don't use it. I rather go with with what I'm more comfortable with.

Reaction score
I use measuring cups and spoons. I do have a nice set of kitchen scales, but I never use them. Also, I pretty much only measure when I'm baking...I seldom measure anything when I'm cooking.

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! its nice to know I'm not the only one who prefers cups and spoons. I don't mind the alternative measurements that are found on the 'cup' like ounces but when it comes to having to have too many tools in the kitchen, it just seems to make things cluttered. I do have to measure a lot of my fruits by kilo though and so I use a scale. We have a young man who comes to the house every Tuesday and brings some produce. To ensure, I get a good price, I measure out the fruits and veggies. One of the volunteers from France always used the scale for baking but I have rarely done so unless I was making something like Jam where I knew I needed a kilo to kilo measurement.

Reaction score
I prefer measuring using cups and spoons, but I have noticed lately that more recipes I am finding explain the "portions" of ingredients in ounces, grams etc. It isn't a big deal for me to measure this way, it just takes up more time and I'm not used to it.

Reaction score
I use cups and spoons. I use Google to convert everything to cups and spoons. I do have a scale but I hate using it. I didn't know using weight was considered more accurate, though.

Reaction score
Being in the UK, we used weight to measure solids and volume to measure liquids. I get very confused when I have to use cups! Measuring a solid by volume is kinda tricky - how much you use depends on how you pack it into the container! For example, butter is a nightmare to pack in evenly and to get out again. And then if you need to measure out something else using the same thing you just filled with greasy butter then you either need to clean it first or end up with the second ingredient caked to the inside of the container. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just find it really time consuming.

Using scales is so much easier to me - I put electronic scales underneath the mixing bowl each time I need to add the next ingredient, it's so easy. And less stuff to clean afterwards :D

We still use measuring spoons for small amounts though because it's easier.

Ask a Question