Semi Homemade?

Reaction score
What ingredient do you add to a simple Betty Crooker mix to make it your own?

Reaction score
I would use melted butter rather than oil. Butter has a much better flavor and it's actually a lot better for you than vegetable oils, which are highly processed. You might even want to add more butter than oil called for and decrease the water a bit if it is a little too runny because those mixes are so high in sugar, more fat will make them more balanced nutritionally.

Reaction score
Are you referring to a Betty Crocker cake mix? I usually put some applesauce in mine as I find that the boxed cakes can come out very dry once they have baked. You could also try adding some chocolate chips, caramel, or even nuts depending on which cake you bought.

Reaction score
It really depends on the mix, but if we are talking of a carrot cake mix... I like to add some real carrot bits, as well as some pecans, cinnamon and cloves... that does the trick ;) I don't use box mixes often, but when I do...I try to make it mine every time.

Reaction score
I would use melted butter rather than oil. Butter has a much better flavor and it's actually a lot better for you than vegetable oils, which are highly processed. You might even want to add more butter than oil called for and decrease the water a bit if it is a little too runny because those mixes are so high in sugar, more fat will make them more balanced nutritionally.

I will definitely try that next time I get a brownies mix ;) Do you use the salted or unsalted one? I'd love to use half and half of salted and unsalted butter! I bet the taste would be decadent! After all we add a pinch of salt to most of our baked goods over here to actually pice things up.

Reaction score
I do not use unsalted butter very often because the unsalted butter just tastes like tasteless fat to me. I will usually use salted butter, and then just omit the "pinch of salt" for recipes. There are countless ways that you can make a boxed mix taste much better by adding extra ingredients to it. I was thinking of making a white cake and adding fresh berries for flavoring and extra moisture, but I have not tried it yet so I have no idea how it would turn out.

Ask a Question