Shortbread appearance problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

I baked Mary Berry's shortbread recipe last night and although the flavour and texture were lovely I was disappointed with the overall appearance.

I put fork 'pricks' lightly on the dough before chilling for 45 mins. During baking these hole disappeared and the overall look of the baked dough was not smooth but rough. I wanted a smooth light golden finish with the fork pricks but this didn't happen.

Any advice?

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it was too fluffy. Are you using plain flour? There should be no raising agents in shortbread, so that might be worth checking. Also it needs to be pressed down firmly (eg with the back of a spoon) before it is forked and chilled. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Here is the Mary Berry recipe I found.......is it the same one?

Mary Berry Shortbread
225g plain flour
100g semolina
225g butter
100g caster sugar
25g demerara/granulated sugar for dusting

• Preheat the oven to 140C (fan)
  • Grease and line a 30 x 23cm cake tin
  • Mix the flour, sugar and semolina together and rub the butter into the mixture with your fingers until it binds together.
  • Knead lightly until it forms a smooth dough.
  • Press into the tin and flatten the top with a palette knife
  • Prick all over with a fork and place in the fridge until firm (about 30mins)
  • Bake in the oven for 35-40mins until a pale golden brown.
  • Leave to cool in the tin for a few mins then cut into fingers (or in my case, squares), place on a wire rack and sprinkle with sugar.

Reaction score
If thats the same recipe, then you might have had your oven too hot, or baked them too long.

As for the fork holes disappearing, sometimes they will do that.
If you want the fork holes to stay, then I would prick the dough before it goes into the oven.....not before it goes into the fridge.

If you want a smooth, glossy top, then you can brush some eggwhite wash on top before baking, or smooth the dough out with a clean, damp paper towel before you prick it and bake it.

Ask a Question