Silicone versus traditional tins

Reaction score
I like the look of silicone, but haven't been brave enough to use them yet. I'm sure they are safe, but have read there is a maximum temperature. I still like the traditional baking tins and to grease and line them, so which is better and for what?

I like to bake cupcakes and sponge cakes rather than loaves and silicone does look easier to get the cake out of the tin, so any pros and cons?

Reaction score
I think it really depends on what you bake and what brand if silicone tray you use. As much as I hate to say it some brands are better than others in terms of heat resistance so definitely do your research!

I would also say that silicon tins would be best for treats and baked goods that doesn't need to be baked but need to be refrigerated.

Again, I would look into the brand and shop around for reviews and stuff before you buy it.

Reaction score
I am very weirded out by silicone. I do not like to put hot food in plastic at all, so I'm not really comfortable with silicone, even if it says safe to 500 degrees or something. Not melted does not mean not leaching chemicals into my food. I also do not like the texture. It feels like it is never really clean because it is soft. I was given a set of collapsible measuring cups made of silicone and I got rid of them because they always felt gross to me.

Reaction score
I am very weirded out by silicone. I do not like to put hot food in plastic at all, so I'm not really comfortable with silicone, even if it says safe to 500 degrees or something. Not melted does not mean not leaching chemicals into my food. I also do not like the texture. It feels like it is never really clean because it is soft. I was given a set of collapsible measuring cups made of silicone and I got rid of them because they always felt gross to me.

These are my apprehensions too. I've seen them on cooking shows and played around with them in the shops, but I can't commit to it and I would be afraid what would happen in a worst-case scenario.

That's another thing to consider about the plastic too and how long it can last as well as the potential to affect the food. I haven't read up on any reports, but I'm sure it has crossed peoples minds.

Reaction score
I have received a few silicone baking pans from my mother as a gift however truth to be told i have never used them and they're just sitting in the cupboards gathering dust; somehow i just feel more comfortable using my traditional baking tins.

Reaction score

I'm not weirded out by them, but I would never use silicone for baking or cooking.

I heat stuff up in Rubbermaid plastic bowls in the microwave, but I don't cook or bake anything in any kind of plastic.
I'm not really afraid of chemical leakage just heating stuff up, but baking in them for a long period of time at a high temperature....you can't tell me SOMETHING isn't being transferred into the food thats not supposed to be there!

It's bad enough almost everything comes in plastic now anyways. I open some foods, and they smell like plastic, not the food. I just throw them out, I can't eat them.

Ask a Question