Would you order silicone tools from China?

Reaction score
I was taking a look at some really cute silicone tools on Ebay, they are from china. It's basically a very nice cake mold. Not thinknig of buying it right now, but in the future I want to get several tools. Not sure I'd order anything from china tho. Was wondering if you would? Do you trust the tools coming from china? I feel a bit uneasy with the thought of using something from china for cooking, let alone baking. Not sure I'd even want to buy a silicone brush...

Reaction score
Oh I'm right there with you...it makes you nervous for sure, but then again a lot of the things we buy here are from China to begin with and people don't seem to give it a second thought. I don't know, I'm sure the price is tempting and everything but I'd end up getting too ridiculously nervous and passing on it altogether.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same, almost everything seems to be made in China nowadays, but if possible I try to buy things made in the US. I wonder why those things on Ebay are so cheap compared to the chinese stuff we can find in most stores?

Reaction score
Right? I've wondered that, too. Maybe they are made differently? Different standards and whatever? I don't know, I've always found that really weird. :/

Reaction score
Now... that's what worries me, lol. That's why I don't feel like buying that kind of things online, maybe they're made equally, maybe not the same standards, but I don't feel like risking it, hehehe! Not after reading all those awful things online...

Reaction score
For me, I am worried about using silicone anything now, because I bought some heart-shaped moulds for cheesecake once and well... They tasted awful, you could taste the plastic... It has put me off wanting to purchase more. I am thinking maybe the quality wasn't good?

Having said this I have actually bought a mini heart-silicone mould from China and I was going to use it for fondant/chocolate etc. I haven't tried it out yet though.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same, almost everything seems to be made in China nowadays, but if possible I try to buy things made in the US. I wonder why those things on Ebay are so cheap compared to the chinese stuff we can find in most stores?

I'm an ebay seller and I found out that the Chinese eBay sellers can afford to sell so cheap and ship for free because the Chinese government subsidizes their shipping costs.
I guess the Chinese government wants them to sell lots and lots of stuff.

Reaction score
Oh my, really? Thanks for the info, I was amazed to see most Chinese sellers offered free shipping, I had been wondering how that could be! That makes sense, in a way makes me feel a bit more confident to shop things from them, not so much the kitchenware, but other things for sure :)

Reaction score
For me, I am worried about using silicone anything now, because I bought some heart-shaped moulds for cheesecake once and well... They tasted awful, you could taste the plastic... It has put me off wanting to purchase more. I am thinking maybe the quality wasn't good?

Having said this I have actually bought a mini heart-silicone mould from China and I was going to use it for fondant/chocolate etc. I haven't tried it out yet though.

Were they made in China? I'm actually worried to use anything made with plastic, it just makes me nervous. The mold you bought weren't of good quality. To be honest I'd never use silicone molds, I'd use silicone brushes, but that's it. Be careful with those molds, you never know!

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess around with the cheap silicone molds from China that are $1.99 on eBay for food because I've head that they smell like chemicals.
But they're cute for soap molds and lotion bar molds, so if you're a crafter, go nuts.

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, I really think so! I should never ever use cooking tools from china, I just don't trust them, but I might actually use those as soap molds :) That's a really nice idea!

Reaction score
You know I never though about the danger that could be waiting wth these cheap chinese baking goods. Now that you have brought this to my attention I know th i will stay away fom these products. Better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Glad i did that :) I think a lot people don't really know those items can be really dangerous, I just can't trust any cooking tool coming from china, specially if heat is involved. A big no no for me.

Reaction score
Because China is dishonest, I try not to do business with them or buy there products if there is an alternative made somewhere else.

As or silicone, I would not trust Chinese made silicone to be safe. It is a plastic, which I personally think always feels dirty no matter how much you wash it. I would be concerned about chemicals getting into the food.

Reaction score
Many things are made in China already, so if you order directly you may not get the same guarantees that you may get from a company that sells imported goods form China, even if they are the same item. Even if you buy it from a local store, what guarantees do you have of it's safety? Often it's a matter of branding and marketing with the same product.

Reaction score
One time I would be concerned every time I saw China on a label. Not anymore. I have learned that China has some inferior products but they also produce lots of quality items.

So whether it's China, Turkey or the US I try to make my own assessment or do some research on the item. I've had some hits and some misses:).

Last edited:

Ask a Question