My first silicone cake mold

Reaction score
I've been too afraid to use silicone molds, but today I saw one reduced to 50p (about 35 cents) from £3 and is a square cake mold so I bought it from the supermarket.

Are there any hints and tips I should know before I start experimenting with it?

Reaction score
I use silicone baking mats, but have never used molds/pans, although I'm seeing them all over the place. I don't know anyone who uses them, so I hope you'll let us know how it works out for you, and whether you prefer the silicone mold over a traditional cake pan.

Reaction score
I have been quite interested in these silicone molds everyone is talking about! I have never used one, and have always used the traditional baking pans. I am worried about them sticking to the food? Or potentially melting at one point? Does anyone have any good recommendations on brand?

Reaction score
A little update, it went terribly wrong and I need a lot more practice. I thought I didn't need to grease the mold, but I realized after soaking it, a little oil would not do any harm.

It didn't melt, but to take it out of the oven it is best to put it on a baking tray to make it easier. I think I need to be brave to try again to be honest.

Ask a Question