Sourdough- not enough bread structure? Over-proofed?

Reaction score
I followed the recipe below to the letter-

When I transfer the loaves from the refridgerator in bannetons to the dutch oven they pancake. From the top of the loaf it looks like there is oven spring, but why no height? This started out shaping for a batard.

Foodgeek Master Recipe for Artisan Sourdough Bread This is the basis of how to make artisan sourdough bread. This is a much easier recipe than all the others. No fuss, just great bread. Print Recipe Share on Facebook Share by Email Pin Recipe Equipment medium rosti bowl medium rosti lid medium cambro container flour shaker oval banneton round banneton lame razor blades challenger bread pan combo cooker Click here to add your own private notes. Jump to Video Ingredients 600 g bread flour 150 g dark rye flour substitute with your favorite 15 g salt 150 g sourdough starter 500 g water Instructions Feed the starter – The night before About 8-10 hours before mixing, feed your starter at 1:5:5. That means take 15g starter, 80g flour, and 80g water mix it and let it grow at room temperature. If you'd like more sour bread, you can start earlier. Mix the ingredients and bulk fermentation – The next day Add bread flour, rye flour, and salt to a bowl. Mix it with your fingers until it's well-distributed. Add 150g of sourdough starter and 500g of water. If you want to, you can mix on a machine until the dough looks nice and cohesive. Then go straight to the rise. Otherwise, mix with your fingers until no dry bits remain. Leave the dough to rest covered for 60 minutes. At this point, you can choose to jump straight to the rise, making it a no-knead bread. Otherwise, you can do three sets of stretch and folds or coil folds spaced out by 30 minutes. Coil folds are best if you are making one loaf. The rise – jump here for machine and no-knead Put the dough in a see-through container where you can monitor the bulk. Let the dough rise by 25%. DON'T USE TIME!! Time varies on many factors, so go by the rise, not time. If you are bulking cold, below 21°C/70°F, let the dough rise 100%. If you are bulking at room temperature, around 21°C-25°C/70°F, let the dough rise 50%. If you are bulking warm, above 25°C/77°F, let the dough rise 25%. Divide and pre-shape If you are making one loaf and used coil folds, skip straight to final shaping. Divide the dough into two equally sized pieces by cutting it with your bench scraper. Preshape both pieces of dough into a boule. Let the dough rest on the counter for 20 minutes. Final shape Final-shape the bread into boules or bâtards, depending on what you prefer. Boules are the easiest, so if you're new, go for that. Watch the video to see how you do both of them. After each dough is shaped, dust a banneton with rice flour and add the dough. Instead of a banneton, you can use a bowl lined with a dish towel. They will, of course, only accommodate boules. Add both bannetons to your fridge. Your fridge should be ice cold. Mine's set to 2°C/35.5°F. Let the bread retard for 4 to 48 hours. You don't have to cover the dough. Bake the bread Heat your oven to 230°C/450°F with dutch oven inside. Heat for 30 minutes to make sure both are completely saturated with heat. Grab a dough from the fridge. Dust it with rice flour on the bottom and put your peel over the top. Flip it over so the dough rests on the peel. Dust the top with more rice flour and distribute it with your hands. Score the dough. Open the oven and take the top off the dutch oven. Grab the peel and add the dough to the dutch oven. Put the top on, close the oven, and bake for 25 minutes. Prepare the other bread, as above. Then open the oven and take the top off of the dutch oven. Move the bread in the dutch oven to the side, and then add the unbaked bread to the dutch oven. Put the lid on and bake for 25 minutes. Then take out the finished bread and put it on a wire rack. Take the top of the dutch oven and brown the other bread. Then take it out and put it on a wire rack. Let them both cool to room temperature. That's how you make artisan sourdough bread.
IMG_2257.JPG

Reaction score
bread cannot be proofed by the clock, it is proofed when it is proofed.
Its like trying to force tomatoes to grow faster, you can only provide an ideal environment and watch carefully.
Theres too much missing information in that recipe, I found it took at least 2 weeks before a sourdough starter came to life and gave expected results, it made bread ok but after 10 batches the starter really came alive. Its like gardening with flour.

I would use a stronger flour if its collapsing and make sure its developed in the folding stage.
if it collapses when tipped onto a tray before baking due diligence was not paid during the proof, you have to monitor, not rely on the clock.

I would say, less than vigorous starter, insufficient development of gluten and too long in the final proof.
The only way I got it right was by doing it repeatedly but I was doing it commercially so getting rid of it was easy, we just sold it, but the constant feeding the starter , I didn't feel it was worth the effort and discontinued it.

Ask a Question