Sponge Recipe for Non Tiered Wedding Cake and Storage.

Reaction score
Hi All. I’ve always made very successful cakes, on the occasions that I’ve made them and my daughter asked if I’d make her wedding cake for her wedding in the autumn. We chose an adapted Victoria sponge cake fit for purpose, which meant it would hold up better once layered and tiered. I’ll be making a 12/9/6” cake with three layers to each tier for up to 95 guests.
Since deciding on the recipe, we’ve now decided because of transporting issues etc that we’re going to display the cakes on three separate wood stands with faux autumn rice leaves sort of connecting them. So, I was wondering as I’m not stacking the cakes is it necessary to use an adapted recipe or can I simply use my tried and tested Victoria sponge mix, which does taste better and is more moist?

Also how many days before the wedding can I bake the cakes and still manage to keep them moist and how best to achieve that? Or if I was to bake well in advance say weeks, any tips on storage and freezing etc and which do you prefer. Make just before the actual day or weeks in advance and freeze? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi All. I’ve always made very successful cakes, on the occasions that I’ve made them and my daughter asked if I’d make her wedding cake for her wedding in the autumn. We chose an adapted Victoria sponge cake fit for purpose, which meant it would hold up better once layered and tiered. I’ll be making a 12/9/6” cake with three layers to each tier for up to 95 guests.
Since deciding on the recipe, we’ve now decided because of transporting issues etc that we’re going to display the cakes on three separate wood stands with faux autumn rice leaves sort of connecting them. So, I was wondering as I’m not stacking the cakes is it necessary to use an adapted recipe or can I simply use my tried and tested Victoria sponge mix, which does taste better and is more moist?

Also how many days before the wedding can I bake the cakes and still manage to keep them moist and how best to achieve that? Or if I was to bake well in advance say weeks, any tips on storage and freezing etc and which do you prefer. Make just before the actual day or weeks in advance and freeze? Thanks in advance.
Go with tried and tested every time.
I prefer to bake fresh, freezing does funny things to cake structure.
I bake it, chill it and finish it the same day. Thats my preferred way.
You can make the buttercream ahead or make the whole thing ahead, its up to you.

Reaction score
Thank you for this. Sounds sensible keeping with what I know. The only reason I asked about freezing was for reasons of my physical health. Baking all the cakes of 3 layers each, at the same time, could be too much. Would you have a rough idea of how long it would take to just bake all 3 cakes(not including the frosting)?

Also if I needed the cakes on a Friday could I bake them on the Wednesday and if so how would I store them to keep them fresh? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thank you for this. Sounds sensible keeping with what I know. The only reason I asked about freezing was for reasons of my physical health. Baking all the cakes of 3 layers each, at the same time, could be too much. Would you have a rough idea of how long it would take to just bake all 3 cakes(not including the frosting)?

Also if I needed the cakes on a Friday could I bake them on the Wednesday and if so how would I store them to keep them fresh? Thanks again.

Reaction score
A couple of days is fine in the cooler,
a couple of weeks would be better off being frozen.

Ask a Question