Sugar free brownie that taste good

Reaction score
My husband is diabetic and I love to bake, bad combination. I have been trying to come up with a good brownie recipie that is sugar free for his birthday. I have tried to replace the sugar with Splenda and it taste aweful. Does anyone know what I can use to make tasty brownies that are sugar free?

Reaction score
Hmmm that's a tricky one. I've not tried baking with sweeteners myself, but I've heard good things about a product called Truvia. There is even a recipe for chocolate brownies on their website - might be worth a try!

Truvia Fudgy Brownies

Reaction score
I think what you'll have to do is try the different non-sugar sweeteners to see which one tastes best. You could divide your mix into as many different batches as needed, and then add a different sweetener to each batch. Just be sure to know which sweetener is in each one.

In fact, you could present him with brownies made with all of the different sweeteners you could find. Let him decide the ones he likes the most. I think this will show him how much you care to have gone to such lengths. Each brownie could have a little flag sticking out with the name of the sweetener used (maybe have two or three brownies for each). Have some fun with it.

I'm a man, and I would definitely appreciate this if it were done for me.

In the end, you'll know exactly what he likes the best.

Reaction score
I made these for my grandma once who is also a diabetic. My grandma is a Brownies lover. I made her some sugar-free brownies made with all-natural Stevia sweetener. I used gluten-free flour instead of regular flour. My grandma and I enjoyed it together. :)

Reaction score
To make those brownies without sugar especially for your diabetic husband a good alternative would be to use Agave syrup which you can get at many grocery stores now. It's very sweet so you can use less of it than sugar and it's suppose to not spike your blood sugar.

Reaction score
Truvia is the brand name for Stevia. Yes it is natural: but I find it has a bitter after-taste when used on cereal, etc. Agave is sweet and natural: but still has calories and carbs. The difference is that it is not refined and is easier to digest: so there is little spiking but you will still get an increased glucose level. There is a lot of pro and con regarding sucralose, which is the generic Splenda. However, I find it works when baking. There is nothing that will replace the taste of cane sugar, brown sugar, or honey.

Reaction score
I agree with Golem. Nothing will completely replace the taste of "real" sugars. That said, I would still try some brownie recipes using the other alternatives. I have had some very decent sugar free brownies, and I believe they were made with sucralose. I really have to start asking people for their recipes!

Ask a Question