Temperature probes for cakes

Reaction score
Ah, very interesting, thanks for the info Norcalbaker, I stand corrected! So it's really a collaboration between the two companies.

My birthday is actually the same day as your youngest sister! :)

And wow, the rose bushes sound fantastic, as does the thought of tasting your lavender lemon and blackberry cake. Lucky sister! Do post some photos when you've made it, I'd like to see that.

Oh you’re the third person I know born on May 25th! A woman I went to college with who I remained friends with for a while what is also May 25. So for years my phone calendar would send back to back message reminders for each of their birthdays.

My sister loves cakes with fruit fillings and cakes on the lighter side so I always tried to make her something that reflects the season. She always buys the same cake from the bakery, so much so that her husband will look in the refrigerator and say, “Chantilly cake again?” I’m thinking of doing a blackberry mousse for the filling instead of a curd.

But I think it’s something that runs in our family because I go for anything fruit too.

I’ll post a pic of the cake when it’s done

J13

Reaction score
I got my purple Thermapen some years back and it has been so completely worth the price. No regrets. So fast, so accurate, so easy; I love the way I can turn it this way and that, needle fully opened or at a right angle so you can jab it in any which-way and still see the temp. Love that it glows in the dark, and folds up so neatly you can slip it into a pocket. And I really like the big, easy-to-clean handle. I had some other, cheaper thermometers before this one, and they either failed or were hard to use (sort and small and always getting my hand too close to the heat or splattering oil).

I use it for everything. Steaks, baked potatoes (I know some people can tell the doneness of both by touch, but I always seemed to get it wrong when I did that—steak and potatoes underdone every time!). Also sugar for caramel sauce and water for blooming instant yeast.

Pretty much anything I can check temperature-wise I do. It's one of my most used kitchen gadgets.

Reaction score
@Lee_C
ThermoWorks had a Father’s Day sale so I bit the bullet and bought the Mk4. Got red cuz it is the best color. I am going to give my Thermopop since she doesn’t have a decent thermometer.

20D47FD7-B415-4D5A-AAE7-5E6CB6B6BAB6.jpeg

Reaction score
Norcalbaker, that's awesome! :DI'm so pleased you finally got one and it's very nice you're giving your Thermopop away, it'll get good use I'm sure.

Well, a few days ago, I noticed that over here, ETI Ltd had two colours at a reduced price, the Marine Blue and the 'Latte'. ETI say they're limited editions and when they're gone they're gone. They've reduced them by about 23% from £64.80 to £50. So I ordered the marine blue! Although I wanted red, I thought it would be a bit silly for me to pay £15 more just to get a colour. And marine blue was always my second choice so I don't mind to be honest, I think it looks nice.

I had also been keeping my eye out for you and had been checking the Thermoworks site to see if this was a global thing and I was going to let you know if it was. But it didn't appear to be. Did you get a good reduction on the price?

Today I was waiting in all day as mine had been dispatched Tuesday and was due to arrive yesterday by 8pm but it never got delivered. As soon as it went past 8pm, the tracking message changed to this.

Untitled.png

So I've messaged ETI through Amazon saying that the last tracking note is completely vague and doesn't tell me if Amazon are delivering again today or if they assume it's been delivered. I asked them what the next step is. I was really looking forward to trying it out today! How is yours, I'm guessing you've tried it? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Norcalbaker, that's awesome! :DI'm so pleased you finally got one and it's very nice you're giving your Thermopop away, it'll get good use I'm sure.

Well, a few days ago, I noticed that over here, ETI Ltd had two colours at a reduced price, the marine blue and the latter. ETI say they're limited editions and when they're gone they're gone. They've reduced them by about 23% from £64.80 to £50. So I ordered the marine blue! Although I wanted red, I thought it would be a bit silly for me to pay £15 more just to get a colour. And marine blue was always my second choice so I don't mind to be honest, I think it looks nice.

I had also been keeping my eye out for you and had been checking the Thermoworks site to see if this was a global thing and I was going to let you know if it was. But it didn't appear to be. Did you get a good reduction on the price?

Today I was waiting in all day as mine had been dispatched Tuesday and was due to arrive yesterday by 8pm but it never got delivered. As soon as it went past 8pm, the tracking message changed to this.

View attachment 2352

So I've messaged ETI through Amazon saying that the last tracking note is completely vague and doesn't tell me if Amazon are delivering again today or if they assume it's been delivered. I asked them what the next step is. I was really looking forward to trying it out today! How is yours, I'm guessing you've tried it? :)

:DI’m so glad your Thermopen is on the way! The marine blue is a very nice color. And you really cannot beat that price!! The discount here was 15%. So it from $99 USD to $84.15. Not much of a discount, but they just don’t reduce it much since the demand is so high.:( I’ve never seen it discounted below 15%.

Yes, I tried it out and it works beautifully. When I first took it out of the package it seemed so large. But after I handled it for a while, I got used to the size.

I see what you mean though about it not being left-handed. Technically I’m left-handed. I write with my left hand, but use my right hand for just about everything else. I golf right-handed. I use scissors right-handed. I sew right-handed. The only thing I cannot do with my right hand is write. When I was checking the display rotation on the thermopen it just happened I was using my left hand to see how the the display rotated.

The display rotates, but the probe doesn’t open all the way around. So for a left-handed cook the probe is at a straight angle. Not impossible to use left handed, but certainly not the most comfortable and convenient. Fortunately I’m ambidextrous.

Let me know when your ThermoPen arrives.

Reaction score
Yep, it's a shame they didn't make the probe open further for using left handed. Lucky you're ambidextrous! I'm glad yours is working as expected. 2 to 3 seconds read then? Awesome if so. :D

ETI are now sending me a replacement. I've asked them if they can do it this time with a proper tracking number and to be signed for. There's no further updates from Amazon. It must have gotten lost or stolen. It wasn't actually an Amazon courier, they're normally very good. I paid through Amazon but It was sent direct from ETI using our Royal Mail postal service. It won't be the first time Royal Mail have let me down. I call them Royal Fail! :p

Reaction score
Yep, it's a shame they didn't make the probe open further for using left handed. Lucky you're ambidextrous! I'm glad yours is working as expected. 2 to 3 seconds read then? Awesome if so. :D

ETI are now sending me a replacement. I've asked them if they can do it this time with a proper tracking number and to be signed for. There's no further updates from Amazon. It must have gotten lost or stolen. It wasn't actually an Amazon courier, they're normally very good. I paid through Amazon but It was sent direct from ETI using our Royal Mail postal service. It won't be the first time Royal Mail have let me down. I call them Royal Fail! :p

That’s too bad your Thermopen didn’t arrive. Thank goodness ETI is replacing it immediately. ThermoWorks shipped mine two day priority shipping. They sent me a tracking number. But it didn’t require signature. I live in a rural area, and require a post box at the post office as the postal service doesn’t deliver to my house. So the postmaster takes delivery of all my parcels for me. So at least I don’t have to worry about someone stealing a package off my porch.

Yes I tested it on boiling water and the response time was like 2 seconds. It seems instantaneous it’s amazing. Really when I look at all the features on this thermometer, I can’t complain about the price: accuracy, speed, Waterproof, rotating display, large display sleep/wake mode, auto backlight, and folding probe. It’s a well designed instrument.

Reaction score
Yes, they've messaged me today saying "please allow a few days for the replacement to be sent out to you. This was sent by post so no tracking information I'm afraid." So I probably won't receive it until sometime next week. I'm surprised they didn't resend with tracking though.

I've got a cheap thermometer which works fine and seems accurate but takes quite little while to get up to temperature.

So do you have to regularly go to the post office to see if you have any post and does that make things a little inconvenient for you?

2 seconds! Amazing :D Yep, you're right. On the surface it looks very basic. For the money they charge, you'd think it would come in a metal casing instead of plastic. But as you rightly mentioned, it does pack a lot of great features. It's a great investment. I watched a video where someone with the previous Thermopen Classic had his for about 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly, so our mk4 should last a lifetime. :cool:

J13

Reaction score
Yes I tested it on boiling water and the response time was like 2 seconds. It seems instantaneous it’s amazing. Really when I look at all the features on this thermometer, I can’t complain about the price: accuracy, speed, Waterproof, rotating display, large display sleep/wake mode, auto backlight, and folding probe. It’s a well designed instrument.
2 seconds! Amazing :D
:D You have both made wise investments! :D You are going to love your Thermopens and probably end up saying “To think I hesitated....” :cool: As for metal...I think plastic not only allows for different colors, but keeps it cool to the touch and from getting slippery. Metal can get hot if resting near a hot surface (like near a grill) or get slippery if spattered in something like oil. There’s a texture to the Thermopen that helps you grip it securely. And the plastic stays relatively cool even when near an oven. It’s also super easy to clean.

The plastic certainly doesn’t feel likely (to me) to crack or break if it falls on the floor. Maybe if someone stepped on it, but then, all bets are off in the case even if it was metal ;)

Reaction score
Yes, they've messaged me today saying "please allow a few days for the replacement to be sent out to you. This was sent by post so no tracking information I'm afraid." So I probably won't receive it until sometime next week. I'm surprised they didn't resend with tracking though.

I've got a cheap thermometer which works fine and seems accurate but takes quite little while to get up to temperature.

So do you have to regularly go to the post office to see if you have any post and does that make things a little inconvenient for you?

2 seconds! Amazing :D Yep, you're right. On the surface it looks very basic. For the money they charge, you'd think it would come in a metal casing instead of plastic. But as you rightly mentioned, it does pack a lot of great features. It's a great investment. I watched a video where someone with the previous Thermopen Classic had his for about 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly, so our mk4 should last a lifetime. :cool:

Yes, that’s strange that they don’t send a tracking number, especially given the initial Thermopen was lost/stolen. But hopefully the replacement will get to you.

The town I live in is quite small. Population 164. I think the wineries outnumber the residence. Most of the houses get mail service. I just happen to rent a place on a friend’s wine property that is on a private road so no mail service. But the trade off is a bit of inconvenience for a lovely place to live. There’s several formal gardens on the property. A creek runs through the property, and it’s surrounded by vineyards. There’s an organic vegetable garden and an orchard. It’s really quite beautiful here. The gardens are used as an event venue, mostly weddings, from May through October.

Regarding the Thermopen case, I think a plastic case makes sense as you wouldn’t want it to conduct heat. Plus it’s rust proof and waterproof. But you’re right it does look plain. Ok, cheap. It looks cheap in the photos. But when you get it and handle it it does feel well made. You’re going to be impressed:D

Reaction score
:D You have both made wise investments! :D You are going to love your Thermopens and probably end up saying “To think I hesitated....” :cool: As for metal...I think plastic not only allows for different colors, but keeps it cool to the touch and from getting slippery. Metal can get hot if resting near a hot surface (like near a grill) or get slippery if spattered in something like oil. There’s a texture to the Thermopen that helps you grip it securely. And the plastic stays relatively cool even when near an oven. It’s also super easy to clean.

The plastic certainly doesn’t feel likely (to me) to crack or break if it falls on the floor. Maybe if someone stepped on it, but then, all bets are off in the case even if it was metal ;)

Yes I agree about metal conducting heat. In the photos it does look a little cheap. But when I got it I was pleasantly surprised. It feels pretty substantial. And the size of it is said you can really get a good grip on it. When I pulled it out of the box, I knew I made a good purchase. The features on this instrument are really impressive. I’m just sorry I didn’t purchase it sooner. But I just couldn’t wrap my head around that price.

Reaction score

You made some very good points! And yes, there's that choice of colours with plastic. :)

Yes, that’s strange that they don’t send a tracking number, especially given the initial Thermopen was lost/stolen. But hopefully the replacement will get to you.

The town I live in is quite small. Population 164. I think the wineries outnumber the residence. Most of the houses get mail service. I just happen to rent a place on a friend’s wine property that is on a private road so no mail service. But the trade off is a bit of inconvenience for a lovely place to live. There’s several formal gardens on the property. A creek runs through the property, and it’s surrounded by vineyards. There’s an organic vegetable garden and an orchard. It’s really quite beautiful here. The gardens are used as an event venue, mostly weddings, from May through October.

Regarding the Thermopen case, I think a plastic case makes sense as you wouldn’t want it to conduct heat. Plus it’s rust proof and waterproof. But you’re right it does look plain. Ok, cheap. It looks cheap in the photos. But when you get it and handle it it does feel well made. You’re going to be impressed:D

Oh yeah, I am going to be impressed! Actually I misread the message they sent me. They meant that the previous Thermapen had been sent with no tracking. I just phoned them and they said they've had problems with Royal Mail, not just my delivery, and so they're sending it today via UPS fully tracked and I should get it tomorrow! :D

The place you live in sound so idyllic! I totally agree with you that no mail service is a negligible price to pay considering what is surrounding you. I'm sure it's really picturesque plus you have all those luscious lemons to pick plus wine on your doorstep! :cool:

I agree with you and J13, that a metal casing actually wouldn't be good. Plastic is obviously the best way. Probably a silly question, but I guess it would have to be handheld at all times as allowing it to rest against the side of a saucepan would melt the casing?

I was using my slow thermometer yesterday to gauge the temperature of my sugar water solution which had to reach 105c. It has a long metal probe similar to the Thermapen but it doesn't fold, it's fixed. For some reason, my thermometer never seemed to go above 100c. Anyway, there wasn't much liquid in the saucepan, it was very shallow, only a few millimetres deep. So it was difficult trying to keep the tip of the probe from touching the base of the pan. When I start using the Thermapen, I was wondering if the metal probe is meant to only touch the liquid or if it's ok for it to touch the bottom metal of the saucepan? As I'm thinking that might give a false reading.

Reaction score
You made some very good points! And yes, there's that choice of colours with plastic. :)

Oh yeah, I am going to be impressed! Actually I misread the message they sent me. They meant that the previous Thermapen had been sent with no tracking. I just phoned them and they said they've had problems with Royal Mail, not just my delivery, and so they're sending it today via UPS fully tracked and I should get it tomorrow! :D

The place you live in sound so idyllic! I totally agree with you that no mail service is a negligible price to pay considering what is surrounding you. I'm sure it's really picturesque plus you have all those luscious lemons to pick plus wine on your doorstep! :cool:

I agree with you and J13, that a metal casing actually wouldn't be good. Plastic is obviously the best way. Probably a silly question, but I guess it would have to be handheld at all times as allowing it to rest against the side of a saucepan would melt the casing?

I was using my slow thermometer yesterday to gauge the temperature of my sugar water solution which had to reach 105c. It has a long metal probe similar to the Thermapen but it doesn't fold, it's fixed. For some reason, my thermometer never seemed to go above 100c. Anyway, there wasn't much liquid in the saucepan, it was very shallow, only a few millimetres deep. So it was difficult trying to keep the tip of the probe from touching the base of the pan. When I start using the Thermapen, I was wondering if the metal probe is meant to only touch the liquid or if it's ok for it to touch the bottom metal of the saucepan? As I'm thinking that might give a false reading.

When you don’t have much liquid in your sauce pan, tilted to one side so the liquid pools. Then insert the tip of the thermometer so you do not touch the bottom. That should give you a better reading. You never want to touch the tip of the thermometer on the bottom of the pan as you will get a reading of the metal rather than a reading of the liquid.

Good to hear that your parcel is being sent with a tracking number. I haven’t baked or cooked anything in four days now. It feels really strange to not cook:(

Yes the property I live on is really serene. Well with the exception of that garden statue which is just creepy. I think it’s suppose to Bacchus with grapes, but the face looks more like Chucky from that horror movie. :eek:

97A82926-2C11-4CAA-BBB7-F25B8F4A97D7.jpeg

F3453D5E-8359-4DD3-9A47-51BD6884ED06.jpeg

Reaction score
The display rotates, but the probe doesn’t open all the way around. So for a left-handed cook the probe is at a straight angle. Not impossible to use left handed, but certainly not the most comfortable and convenient. Fortunately I’m ambidextrous.

I have this exact problem! I'm a lefty too, and I always go to use the probe the wrong way. It's a little annoying, but it's such a good bit of kit that I don't mind too much.

Those photos are beautiful! What a stunning place to live :)

Reaction score
I have this exact problem! I'm a lefty too, and I always go to use the probe the wrong way. It's a little annoying, but it's such a good bit of kit that I don't mind too much.

Those photos are beautiful! What a stunning place to live :)

My family is very unusual in that’s we have a lot of lefties. Mom and Gramps, and four out of seven children are lefties. My mom, gramps and I are ambidextrous. But while I do everything but cannot write with my right hand both my mom and gramps could.

Reaction score
I am totally with Becky, your gardens and vineyard views are stunning! :) Even with Chucky. That is so much nicer than where I am. I own a flat (old 1900s Edwardian era house converted into two apartments) in London but it doesn't have anything like those views. You really chose well, is that in Los Angeles?

Sorry you haven't baked in a few days, I know the feeling. Lol, once I'm done making something I'm itching to make something else. Thanks for the advice on using the Thermapen. And yes, it turned up today. :D
It's unbelievably fast, it really is instant. Very impressed. And yes it's quite a bit longer and wider than I was expecting, it feels very substantial and nice in the hand.

20190625_142507.jpg 20190625_142711.jpg 20190625_143257.jpg 20190625_143432.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am totally with Becky, your gardens and vineyard views are stunning! :) Even with Chucky. That is so. much nicer than where I am. I own a flat (old house converted into two apartments) in London but it doesn't have anything like those views. You really chose well, is that in Los Angeles?

Sorry you haven't baked in a few days, I know the feeling. Lol, once I'm done making something I'm itching to make something else. Thanks for the advice on using the Thermapen. And yes, it turned up today. :D
It's unbelievably fast, it really is instant. Very impressed. And yes it's quite a bit longer and wider than I was expecting, it feels very substantial and nice in the hand.

View attachment 2393 View attachment 2394 View attachment 2395 View attachment 2396

Oh cool you got your Thermopen! :cool: Now we are part of the gang. That color is really nice. I noticed that they have some exclusive colors for the UK. They don’t offer with that blue in the US.

I was really shocked by the size when I open the box too. I thought, “what were they thinking?” But when I was testing it I realize the size makes it really comfortable to handle.

I live in Northern California in the Napa Valley. I grew up in this area, but left when I was 20. I just returned about five years ago.

Reaction score
I'll look up Napa Valley on street view later. More than any other country, I'm totally fascinated by looking at American states, cities and streets. :)

Yes indeed, we're paid up members of the Thermapen crew! :D

Yes it's a nice colour isn't it. It's not as vibrant or fun as the red, yellow or orange but I'm really pleased with it. I'm thinking of maybe buying the magnetic silicone sleeve for it for extra protection and sticking to my fridge.

Here's an interesting thing. It's a bit science technical.

Have you tested boiling water yet? I noticed with both my Thermapen and slow thermometer, my water is already boiling at about 98 to 99c. The Thermapen gets to 99c quickly. It does eventually reach 100c but it takes longer.

Thermapen does mention this in their details, saying that water only boils at 100c dependent on atmospheric pressure and elevation. And also the water must be pure/de-mineralized.

Thermoworks provides a pretty cool feature where if you put your zipcode in, it shows the atmospheric pressure and elevation for your area. You put those two numbers into a box on the page and it calculates the water boiling point for where you live. Here's the page if you'd like to try it.
https://www.thermoworks.com/bpcalc

It doesn't work for me as it's only for the US, so I'm going to call ETI to see if they have a page like that for the UK.

My auto backlit illumination works well but when it goes off and I touch the light sensor to turn it back on, it doesn't always work. The manual says it can't be done in well lit areas, but mine seems temperamental even in the lowest light. I don't know if it's a fault or not but I'll ask them tomorrow.

Reaction score
I'll look up Napa Valley on street view later. More than any other country, I'm totally fascinated by looking at American states, cities and streets. :)

Yes indeed, we're paid up members of the Thermapen crew! :D

Yes it's a nice colour isn't it. It's not as vibrant or fun as the red, yellow or orange but I'm really pleased with it. I'm thinking of maybe buying the magnetic silicone sleeve for it for extra protection and sticking to my fridge.

Here's an interesting thing. It's a bit science technical.

Have you tested boiling water yet? I noticed with both my Thermapen and slow thermometer, my water is already boiling at about 98 to 99c. The Thermapen gets to 99c quickly. It does eventually reach 100c but it takes longer.

Thermapen does mention this in their details, saying that water only boils at 100c dependent on atmospheric pressure and elevation. And also the water must be pure/de-mineralized.

Thermoworks provides a pretty cool feature where if you put your zipcode in, it shows the atmospheric pressure and elevation for your area. You put those two numbers into a box on the page and it calculates the water boiling point for where you live. Here's the page if you'd like to try it.
https://www.thermoworks.com/bpcalc

It doesn't work for me as it's only for the US, so I'm going to call ETI to see if they have a page like that for the UK.

My auto backlit illumination works well but when it goes off and I touch the light sensor to turn it back on, it doesn't always work. The manual says it can't be done in well lit areas, but mine seems temperamental even in the lowest light. I don't know if it's a fault or not but I'll ask them tomorrow.

Interesting when I first got my Thermopen I immediately tested it with boiling water. Since I’m near sea level (elevation 150 ft) water boils at 212°F. I have an electric kettle so I boiled water in it as it boils water relatively fast. I dipped the Thermopen in end it registered 212°F. Which surprised me because my Thermalpop Usually registers 211°F in boiling water.

When I looked at the website you linked and put in the elevation and current barometer pressure, It indicated 211°F. When I boil water in a small all-clad saucepan and did the reading with my Thermopen, it shot up to 215°F. But I think the all-clad is generating additional heat.

I noticed the back lighting came on when I first open the pen. But when I set the Thermo pen down on the counter with the sensor facing up toward the ceiling light the back lighting went off. So I picked it up and walked into the living room where the room light was off, and the backlighting immediately went on in the darkened room. Then when I stepped back into the kitchen the back lighting went off. So I put my thumb over the sensor and the back lighting immediately came on So my back lighting sensor seems to be working correctly.

I know, cannot believe the speed of this thing!

By the way don’t forget to wash and sanitized/sterilize the probe after each use. If just baking or cooking vegetables I sanitize after washing by dipping the probe boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 min. But if it’s been anywhere near any kind of meat or raw egg it gets washed and sterilized with an alcohol wipe, then dipped in boiling water.

I kind of like the idea of the sleeve to not so much to attach to anything since I keep It in a drawer next to my stove, but to keep the probe enclosed and clean.

The Napa Valley is the most famous wine region in the United States. Even though wine has been made in this region for about over 150 yrs, No one took American wines seriously until about 40 yrs ago.

Then in 1976, a British wine merchant by the name of Steven Spurrier organized a blind wine tasting of Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon from French and California wineries. Officially it was the Paris Wine Tasting of 1976, but had become known as the Judgment of Paris.

Of the 10 judges, 8 were French, 1 was American, and Spurrier of course was British. The American and Spurrier‘s ballots were not counted. So only the French ballots are counted.

The California wines won in both categories. The French were so angry one of the judges demanded her ballot back. The French wine industry as a whole ban Spurrier from all French wine events for over a year. The French media collectively refused to report on the tasting. In fact all of the media outlets that were invited to the tasting thought the whole thing was ridiculous, so only one news organization showed up: Time magazine.

When news broke that California best French in blind tasting by French judges on less, the French then asserted the California wines were poor quality and investments as they would not age well. So over the years Spurrier and other wine experts organized wine tastings of the same wines. Even 30 years later those same California wines were still beating the same French in wine tastings.

So the Napa Valley is now the premier wine region in the US. The valley floor is covered in vineyards, end to end. It’s great the valley is successful, but a mono-product economy and monoculture is never good in the long run. And wine is a luxury product. An extraordinary amount of farm land and natural resources are depleted in creating a product that doesn’t sustain life. So there’s that side of the wine industry.

J13

Reaction score
I was really shocked by the size when I open the box too. I thought, “what were they thinking?” But when I was testing it I realize the size makes it really comfortable to handle.
Also makes for a bigger window to display the temperature. So many of these thermometers have tiny little windows and you can barely read the digital numbers. Not so here. You always know what it is and from any angle. I love that.
Probably a silly question, but I guess it would have to be handheld at all times as allowing it to rest against the side of a saucepan would melt the casing?
As you can see, there’s no real good way to rest it on anything, so yeah, you have to hold it. But then it’s not meant to be a replacement for a probe thermometer or candy/frying thermometer which can stay in oven or pot. It’s best for those quick checks for doneness or readiness.

Oh, and I’m in agreement with NorCal. Very pretty blue color! Excellent choice.

Last edited:

Ask a Question