Temperature probes for cakes

Reaction score
And it’s funny that NorCal should mention proofing in the oven, as I actually considered doing that last time around. But I don’t know the oven temp (I have an oven thermometer, but haven’t used it to check yet). I worry that with it’s constantly-on pilot light, the oven may actually be *too* hot (130° or more) and kill the yeast rather than helping it along. Guess that’s my next step. Check out the heat of my “cold” oven.

@J13 You certainly should an oven thermometer to know confirm the temperature of your oven. But an oven thermometer range is not low enough or in the increments for fermenting and proofing dough. Oven thermometer’s range begins at 100°F ( 37°C). Dough is proofed between 76°F (24°C) - 80°F ( 26°C).

Use your Thermopen. Using your oven as a proofer is very common, it’s nothing I invented.

To set your oven up as a proofer, place a cookie on the lowest rack of the oven and place a cake tin on it. Fill the tin with a couple cups of boiling water.

Place a another cookie sheet on the middle rack and your dough container and a measuring cup just in front ff the dough container

Place the Thermopen against the cup so you can read the display.

The pilot light should give you enough heat to proof the dough.

As long as the oven temperature is between 80°F - 90°F the dough should be fine.

Ideal humidity 75%. Since the humidity is also important, I’m thinking about buying a humidity meter.

Just place your Thermopen in the off oven against a cup
021C8ABA-DDB4-4AEB-9FB0-07652193D4F4.jpeg

Oven thermometer does not have the range necessary for proofing dough. It starts at 100°F, and the range for proofing dough is significantly lower
BCA2B505-8F97-4E4C-BE9A-BDB056FAC379.jpeg

J13

Reaction score
@J13 You certainly should an oven thermometer to know confirm the temperature of your oven. But an oven thermometer range is not low enough or in the increments for fermenting and proofing dough. Oven thermometer’s range begins at 100°F ( 37°C). Dough is proofed between 76°F (24°C) - 80°F ( 26°C).
Heh. I was thinking of putting the oven thermometer in there because I believe the oven is upwards of 100° even when not fired up, and the oven thermometer would show that. A quick check with the Thermopen confirms that the oven is upwards of 90° at least so...no proofing in the oven for moi. :(

On the "bright side" the temp of my kitchen seems to be between 76°-80°, but not the humidity. That's around 55%.

Reaction score
Heh. I was thinking of putting the oven thermometer in there because I believe the oven is upwards of 100° even when not fired up, and the oven thermometer would show that. A quick check with the Thermopen confirms that the oven is upwards of 90° at least so...no proofing in the oven for moi. :(

On the "bright side" the temp of my kitchen seems to be between 76°-80°, but not the humidity. That's around 55%.

That’s pretty warm. I have a gas oven with pilot light as well, but I guess because my oven chamber is larger it doesn’t get as warm.

What type of humidity monitor do you have? Does it have ambient temperature as well?

J13

Reaction score
That’s pretty warm. I have a gas oven with pilot light as well, but I guess because my oven chamber is larger it doesn’t get as warm.
Yes, my oven is very narrow and small. I have a 5 quart dutch oven. If I put it in the oven, then that is *all* that can go in the oven. I have to put it on the lowest rack, and side-to-side, there's barely any wiggle room.

But it's also the fact that my kitchen is a galley—everything is within range of that stove. And though there is a window, it's facing south—no cool breezes from that direction. So, small kitchen, warm oven, nothing of substance to cool it. Even so, it rarely feels that hot--except when the oven is up to 500° for bead baking :rolleyes: It's pretty comfortable temp wise, probably because it's so dry.
What type of humidity monitor do you have? Does it have ambient temperature as well?
Yes! I just got it. It's a "Therm Pro." Cost me $12 whole dollars. :D Picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_3182 2.jpg
    IMG_3182 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Yes, my oven is very narrow and small. I have a 5 quart dutch oven. If I put it in the oven, then that is *all* that can go in the oven. I have to put it on the lowest rack, and side-to-side, there's barely any wiggle room.

But it's also the fact that my kitchen is a galley—everything is within range of that stove. And though there is a window, it's facing south—no cool breezes from that direction. So, small kitchen, warm oven, nothing of substance to cool it. Even so, it rarely feels that hot--except when the oven is up to 500° for bead baking :rolleyes: It's pretty comfortable temp wise, probably because it's so dry.

Yes! I just got it. It's a "Therm Pro." Cost me $12 whole dollars. :D Picture below.

I can definitely feel your pain, without AC, my house is hot from July through September. My window is south facing also. And with a vineyard literally 20’ from my back porch, and being up toward the narrowest part of the valley there’s no escaping the heat that radiates off valley floor.

Does that Therm Pro have a stand to hold it up, or do you have to prop it up against something? I really need to get something to monitor the humidity. That has a pretty good display.

J13

Reaction score
Does that Therm Pro have a stand to hold it up, or do you have to prop it up against something? I really need to get something to monitor the humidity. That has a pretty good display.
Hah! This is a quality product—as you would expect for $12 :D it has a stand (which is what's keeping it up in the picture) *and* a big magnet so you can slap it onto your refrigerator. It also has a toggle so you can go between F°/C°. I looked at a few others. I think the next model up ($14) also has a slot in the back so you can hang it on the wall. But I didn't need anything that fancy. ;)

Reaction score
Hah! This is a quality product—as you would expect for $12 :D it has a stand (which is what's keeping it up in the picture) *and* a big magnet so you can slap it onto your refrigerator. It also has a toggle so you can go between F°/C°. I looked at a few others. I think the next model up ($14) also has a slot in the back so you can hang it on the wall. But I didn't need anything that fancy. ;)

LOL I couldn’t tell from the picture if you had it leaning against something in back to hold it up. I think I might order one of those. I need to know the humidity. Not that I’m baking bread anytime soon at home given the summer heat.
I have that baguette class on August 9. They have a pretzel class that I want to take as well.

Ask a Question