TGIF... Baking Edition :-)

Reaction score
Sooooo... let's just say there's not much altering permissible on a two ingredient cake. Lol! I used about 10oz of Pepsi and 2oz of Bacardi instead of 12oz of soda in a French vanilla cake mix. It was amazingly fluffy, but fell completely to pieces! Maybe adding an egg would help? Or beating it according to the instructions? Pretty sure there was entirely too much air in the batter. The flavor was a little flat and sweet, but definitely cola, which is what I wanted. The rum and lime were very soft, but the baste featured them more. I made cake balls out of it, adding rum and lime to the binding frosting. They were really gummy so I put half in the freezer and half back in the oven just to see what comes of them. I'm not pressed because it's not an order. It's me playing in the kitchen. Now to convince my husband they're not meatballs...

Tomorrow I shoot for the mojito!

Attachments

• 20170823_220428.jpg
    20170823_220428.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 374
Reaction score
Sooooo... let's just say there's not much altering permissible on a two ingredient cake. Lol! I used about 10oz of Pepsi and 2oz of Bacardi instead of 12oz of soda in a French vanilla cake mix. It was amazingly fluffy, but fell completely to pieces! Maybe adding an egg would help? Or beating it according to the instructions? Pretty sure there was entirely too much air in the batter. The flavor was a little flat and sweet, but definitely cola, which is what I wanted. The rum and lime were very soft, but the baste featured them more. I made cake balls out of it, adding rum and lime to the binding frosting. They were really gummy so I put half in the freezer and half back in the oven just to see what comes of them. I'm not pressed because it's not an order. It's me playing in the kitchen. Now to convince my husband they're not meatballs...

Tomorrow I shoot for the mojito!

So how did the cake balls turn out?

Reaction score
Idk yet. It was about 11p when I packed them up after cooling. I'll let you know after i glaze them!

Yes pls let me know. I'm very curious as to how the twice baked ones turned out. I twice bake cookies that are not normally twiced baked (chocolate chip, shortbread). But I've never twice baked a cake, so I'm very curious.

Reaction score
The twice baked came out with a much nicer texture than the frozen. I only put them back in for about 10 min and then turned the oven off, but it made a huge difference. I made the icing too loose (added a splash of rum, lime and coke to store-bought) so they were super messy, but my coworkers thought they were great.

The cakes turned out perfectly! I kept the same liquid ratio, but beat an egg with it before adding in the dry. And then i actually let it beat for a few minutes to activate the gluten this time... I stirred in lime juice and zest just before pouring and baked till it tapped firmly. (I time baking by smell, not the clock. and then i tap the tops instead of poking them. i'm weird.) I forgot to get the mint leaves from mom's so i melted down a peppermint candy for the mojito. In the batter it tasted fine, but it disappeared once baked. Basted both in their respective rums, cooled then striped on lime infused icing. and just for s&g, i colored the icing green and striped on more. They were a hit! Nice and moist, fluffy, light and flavorful. They're officially on my September menu! Posting pix in the next reply. They made a mess of them, so they're not cute, but you can see the fluffiness!

Reaction score
The twice baked came out with a much nicer texture than the frozen. I only put them back in for about 10 min and then turned the oven off, but it made a huge difference. I made the icing too loose (added a splash of rum, lime and coke to store-bought) so they were super messy, but my coworkers thought they were great.

The cakes turned out perfectly! I kept the same liquid ratio, but beat an egg with it before adding in the dry. And then i actually let it beat for a few minutes to activate the gluten this time... I stirred in lime juice and zest just before pouring and baked till it tapped firmly. (I time baking by smell, not the clock. and then i tap the tops instead of poking them. i'm weird.) I forgot to get the mint leaves from mom's so i melted down a peppermint candy for the mojito. In the batter it tasted fine, but it disappeared once baked. Basted both in their respective rums, cooled then striped on lime infused icing. and just for s&g, i colored the icing green and striped on more. They were a hit! Nice and moist, fluffy, light and flavorful. They're officially on my September menu! Posting pix in the next reply. They made a mess of them, so they're not cute, but you can see the fluffiness!

Ahhh, ive always wondered if a cake could handle a second bake. The oven I have now is hotter on the back right side. I always rotate, but every once in a while I'll get one of the layers in need of a bit more baking. But I've always been hesitant to toss in back in the oven. But I won't hesitate next time.

Thanks for the update

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @RedShoe :) Mojito is my favorite drink so now you have me drooling over your deliciously-looking cake!

Did you add any glaze/icing to the cake balls?

I did, but it was too loose, so they were super messy, but they got good reviews!

The mojito was tasty! Next time, I'm going to add more mint though. I didn't want it to overpower the cake, but instead it came up short. And if you're going to call it a mojito, it had better be minty! I'll get it right next round.

Ask a Question