The cost of baking

Reaction score
So, recently my family has come across a small tragedy. My father ended up getting hurt and he can't work. We are really tight on money and I love to bake. My mother told me that if I wanted to make something then I was going to have to pay for the ingredients myself. I decided to make rice krispy treats a couple days ago and the ingredients were about 7 dollars. I know it isn't a lot, but I don't have a job.
Anyway, will I just have to wait on baking for a while or are there inexpensive things I can get? I could always go for the box deserts they sell at walmart where you just add water and eggs. I do love them, but sometimes I like having a variety.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
A lot of ingredients that are needed for baking are in most kitchens such as flour, sugar, eggs. You may need to buy baking powder or yeast. Look for recipes with the fewest ingredients that you do not already have. I love to bake too and am on a very limited income, so it is not always easy. But I do manage things like sugar cookies, brownies, cupcakes,,, I just try to use what I normally would buy.

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I don't suppose that your baking motivation can be re-directed to cooking? It's food, after all, so not exactly a frivolous luxury, and whoever cooks in your family might be relieved at the time and effort saved.

Otherwise, I really don't know the price of ingredients where you live. Are citrus fruits cheaper in Florida because they don't usually need to be flown in or shipping in from far away, or is it standard? Because I recently read this cool tip where you can fill hollowed-out citrus fruit skins with Jell-O. (But I don't know how inexpensive gelatin is where you live.)

I like to make rice porridge stews, but glutinous rice is pretty inexpensive where I live. Something like shepherd's pie is supposed to be a peasant dish, but the price of meat has probably gone up since the medieval times--and it's nigh impossible to find minced lamb or mutton where I live.

Reaction score
You could shop around and take note of the cheaper grocery stores or might be you could even think about shopping with coupons; in these hard times we have to think of creative ways to survive.

Reaction score
That is so sad to hear, I am sorry. There are numerous things you can bake on a very tight budget and the best place to look is the internet. You can just play around with Google and you are sure to find something. Short bread is a good cookie to bake when you have no money as the only ingredients are flour, eggs, water, sugar, and flavoring. Peasant desserts are also good to bake when you are on a tight budget (not calling you that here, just saying that these desserts were developed by people who lived through the Great Depression and stuff).

Ask a Question