Top 5 most popular baked goods in the USA

Reaction score
I read a list today of the top 5 most popular baked goods in the USA. It didn't say how many people they had surveyed, unfortunately, but the top 5 were:

1. Apple Pie
2. Cornbread
3. Cream Puffs
4. Bagels
5. Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was surprised with corn bread but the rest seemed pretty logical.

At a guess, what would you say would be the top 5 baked goods in your country?

Reaction score
I have yet to try the cream puffs, I have tried the other 4 :) I got some really nice recipes for #1, 2 and 5 :) I have yet to try to make bagels, I'm not so brave. After seeing this list I wonder what happened to the donuts? :(

Reaction score
I agree, I would have thought cake and donuts would be on that list. Who knows how many people were surveyed, and from where, though, so it could be just a small localized group. I like apple pie, but it's not my favorite. I don't eat pie very often, so when I do, it tends to be something over the top, like lemon meringue, or coconut cream. I've also never made bagels, and if I lived closer to an Epstein Bros., I probably never would attempt it, but that's going on my must bake list. Incidentally, I recently found small packages of cream puffs in the freezer section of Dollar Tree, so that craving will be sated soon.

Reaction score
Bagels made the list, really? Must be a regional thing because I have never known anyone to make bagels where I live. I love a good bagel, but have never attempted to bake my own.

Reaction score
Bagels made the list, really? Must be a regional thing because I have never known anyone to make bagels where I live. I love a good bagel, but have never attempted to bake my own.

I think it means baked overall, not necessarily baked at home. I don't know anyone who's attempted to make bagels at home, either, but it seems fewer and fewer these days are cooking or baking, although there seems to be a slight uptick lately.

Reaction score
I am good with 4 and 5. Don't care much for the others. I would have thought donuts would have made the pick but I guess I am not included in the survey. In my country I wonder what would be on that list. Sweet bread, turn overs, jam puffs, meat rolls: I am just guessing.

Reaction score
I think it means baked overall, not necessarily baked at home. I don't know anyone who's attempted to make bagels at home, either, but it seems fewer and fewer these days are cooking or baking, although there seems to be a slight uptick lately.
Ooops, I assumed that these were all things that we bake at home as Americans. We really do need to bring back the love of baking as it is so much cheaper and rewarding than buying these things from the bakery.

Reaction score
Ooops, I assumed that these were all things that we bake at home as Americans. We really do need to bring back the love of baking as it is so much cheaper and rewarding than buying these things from the bakery.

So true Tina! I think these days with the pace of life a lot of people buy store bought just for speed and convenience but it's always nice to slow down and bake from scratch!

Reaction score

Yes, I know many people who don't cook or bake at all, it's amazing how much things have changed over the past few decades. If people want to eat healthier, they will have to get back into the habit of cooking at home, from scratch. I'll still buy my Einstein Bros. Bagels, though, they're the best :p.

Reaction score
I'm surprised at cream puffs, as I never really know anyone who eats them. I have more friends and family who eat muffins or pretzels.

In the UK I think scones would be in the list, swiss rolls are popular, and croissants. It's quite regional too as many people like tea cakes too (fruit bun), but scones are for tea time which is popular here and we have cheese scones in many bakeries.

Ask a Question