What Are You Having For Breakfast?

Reaction score
Breakfast

I was munching down my breakfast this morning and thought some about the process of getting it from kitchen to the tummy. So much of what we do in there is now by rote. In putting it all together in my mind, I realized what a production had occurred to make a simple eastern omelette and a toasted English muffin.

Now, I'm not going to go into how the English muffin is made. That is just overkill. Besides, it came from the market in a buy one, get one free purchase. But still, it requires some work just not much thought. Look at the knife that was used to cut it. Maybe the muffin was advertised to be fork-split. I don't trust that. I want two pieces of equal size and width, and that requires a reasonably sharp, serated knife. Then to toast it to perfection, a toaster or toaster oven is needed. I don't own a toaster. The toaster oven has so many other uses that I chose to have one in my kitchen. I'm considering a change, though. Maybe it is the age of this small appliance of mine, but it doesn't toast like I want it to. Anyway, all that to make a simple toasted English muffin. I bet you never gave it that much thought.

I like omelettes. And although an omelette is different from an Eastern, they have similar characteristics. Eggs and meat, and that is all that is required, but not all that is desired. The omelette has some veggies and some cheese in most cases. The variety is endless. The Eastern is more simple. Ground ham and an egg. If you want it to be a Western, then grate in some onion. It sounds so simple, but when deconstructed, it is not. The ham was something that was taking up room in the fridge. Hauling it out, some I chunked up for a caserole, I some left on the bone for pea soup, and some got ground up for ham salad, and Easterns and Westerns.

The grinding of the ham needs the help of a chopper of some kind. I used my food processor. Smaller batches do up well with the mini chopper, but this time it was a larger portion. Purists might put it on the chopping block and hand chop. I'm not so inclined. Rather, I'm lazy. I don't mind when I can put the bowl and blade in the dishwasher. I hate to hand wash that appliance.

So once we have the ground ham and the soup is on to simmer, it's time to make the Eastern. How much ham depends on the number of eggs. I simply mix the two in a coffee cup. It's closest at hand. One egg is enough, and about an ounce of ham, but I was hungry today. I used two eggs and a heaping spoonful of ground meat. Melt a little butter in a fry pan or skillet and drop it in over medium heat. Give it a flip when you see the egg is starting to come together, but do not stir. If you stir, you have scrambled egg with an addition of ham. Our family puts this egg disc on toast with a healthy smear of ketchup. I opted to eat it on a plate with my English muffins. And yes, a little ketchup. I do not make my own ketchup but have thought about it.

So my simple breakfast is only simple thanks to the advances of products for the kitchen. We can complicate it by making ketchup or English muffins, but for now, I'm happy. Should I mention the home made apricot jam on the muffins?

What are you having for breakfast?

<p>http://Bakewaresetsplus.com</p>

Reaction score
Weekday mornings are usually a repetitive cycle for me. Wake up, get ready, make coffee, pack breakfast and lunch, then out the door to drive to work. With very little time between waking up and leaving the house, breakfast are always simple. Coffee and yogurt with berries.

Half-way done with my make up, I go downstairs to start the coffee. I have a slight aversion to making coffee the night before - fresh is so much better. I fill the stove top espresso maker with water, fill in the funnel-shaped filter with ground coffee, screw the top on and it goes on the stove. I set a timer for 8 minutes and head back upstairs to finish getting ready. The coffee itself is special, my mom sends it to me from the little Caribbean island where I grew up. I haven't found a comparable one yet... I've been looking for nearly 8 years. As the coffee brews, I prepare breakfast.

Plain Greek yogurt goes into a 2-cup glass bowl. I sweeten it with maple syrup and add a couple handfuls of fresh blueberries. Plastic lids seal it inside until I'm ready for it... typically around 9am while at work. After the coffee has brewed, I place it in a glass 4-cup measuring cup. Add whole milk from the fridge and warm it up in the microwave. A necessary shortcut in order for me to make it to work on time. It is much better when the milk is warmed separately on the stove. But it's the weekday, it'll have to do. When it's warmed up, I sweeten it with honey. I pour it into two traveler coffee cups: one for me and one for my husband. Simple but nourishing breakfast.

@Margot thank you for a wonderful mid-day reflection on "simple" things. Nothing is truly ever simple.

Reaction score
Breakfast

I was munching down my breakfast this morning and thought some about the process of getting it from kitchen to the tummy. So much of what we do in there is now by rote. In putting it all together in my mind, I realized what a production had occurred to make a simple eastern omelette and a toasted English muffin.

Now, I'm not going to go into how the English muffin is made. That is just overkill. Besides, it came from the market in a buy one, get one free purchase. But still, it requires some work just not much thought. Look at the knife that was used to cut it. Maybe the muffin was advertised to be fork-split. I don't trust that. I want two pieces of equal size and width, and that requires a reasonably sharp, serated knife. Then to toast it to perfection, a toaster or toaster oven is needed. I don't own a toaster. The toaster oven has so many other uses that I chose to have one in my kitchen. I'm considering a change, though. Maybe it is the age of this small appliance of mine, but it doesn't toast like I want it to. Anyway, all that to make a simple toasted English muffin. I bet you never gave it that much thought.

I like omelettes. And although an omelette is different from an Eastern, they have similar characteristics. Eggs and meat, and that is all that is required, but not all that is desired. The omelette has some veggies and some cheese in most cases. The variety is endless. The Eastern is more simple. Ground ham and an egg. If you want it to be a Western, then grate in some onion. It sounds so simple, but when deconstructed, it is not. The ham was something that was taking up room in the fridge. Hauling it out, some I chunked up for a caserole, I some left on the bone for pea soup, and some got ground up for ham salad, and Easterns and Westerns.

The grinding of the ham needs the help of a chopper of some kind. I used my food processor. Smaller batches do up well with the mini chopper, but this time it was a larger portion. Purists might put it on the chopping block and hand chop. I'm not so inclined. Rather, I'm lazy. I don't mind when I can put the bowl and blade in the dishwasher. I hate to hand wash that appliance.

So once we have the ground ham and the soup is on to simmer, it's time to make the Eastern. How much ham depends on the number of eggs. I simply mix the two in a coffee cup. It's closest at hand. One egg is enough, and about an ounce of ham, but I was hungry today. I used two eggs and a heaping spoonful of ground meat. Melt a little butter in a fry pan or skillet and drop it in over medium heat. Give it a flip when you see the egg is starting to come together, but do not stir. If you stir, you have scrambled egg with an addition of ham. Our family puts this egg disc on toast with a healthy smear of ketchup. I opted to eat it on a plate with my English muffins. And yes, a little ketchup. I do not make my own ketchup but have thought about it.

So my simple breakfast is only simple thanks to the advances of products for the kitchen. We can complicate it by making ketchup or English muffins, but for now, I'm happy. Should I mention the home made apricot jam on the muffins?

What are you having for breakfast?

<p>http://Bakewaresetsplus.com</p>

Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with OCD when it comes to something as simple as toasting an English muffin. We eat first with the eyes. For me if things are not balanced in size and shape, my mind goes straight into rejection mode.

It's not to say that there is no beauty in imperfection. But an imperfection is not the same as faulty or sloppy application.

In Japanese we have something called Wabi Sabi. It very difficult to translate the concept, but it's the perfection and beauty in imperfections. It is the beauty of the open rustic crumb of the biscotti. It's the beauty of a homemade cracker's irregular and jagged edges.

I am an omelette woman. The French omelette, soft center with fresh goat cheese and herbs. A fresh cup of mocha made with freshly ground coffee beans, a heaping tablespoon of Guittard red Dutch cocoa powder, dark brown sugar and half-half.

Reaction score
oh for a morning routine that included food...

If i remember, I'll make a breakfast bake or scramble on Sunday and pack a serving to eat in the morning, usually at my desk... Otherwise, it's a run through a drive-thru, inhaling a breakfast burrito/sandwich/bowl in the last 5 minutes of my drive into the office. then flush it down with coffee. and water.

I don't care for sweet breakfasts most of the time. I love waffles, don't get me wrong, but i have to have a plate full of savory to go with it. Yogurt is ok, but i have texture issues with fruit, so it's going to be honey or something with granola. Then it ends up too sweet. Yes, i'm complicated. I would love to find a simple, low-fat, low-sodium, savory breakfast that doesn't take time in the morning to prepare. My coworker makes her cottage cheese savory, so i might try that.

Reaction score
I feel sorry for those people that remove that breakfast from their morning schedule. I need sustenance, and although I am a big fan of the drive thru burrito, I cannot eat it without that hash brown. So, it is a treat rather than the norm. I should not be the one to comment on those that are still in the working world after being retired for a couple of years. It was not my intent to retire, just health circumstances. It is easy for me to sit here and dream up the next meal. It is another thing when you are rushing out the door to work.
Right now I have two carrot cakes in the oven for the church supper tonight, and a corn salad in the fridge marinating in its' bowl. Breakfast today was an egg salad sandwich. Odd, but satisfying.

Reaction score
Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with OCD when it comes to something as simple as toasting an English muffin. We eat first with the eyes. For me if things are not balanced in size and shape, my mind goes straight into rejection mode.

It's not to say that there is no beauty in imperfection. But an imperfection is not the same as faulty or sloppy application.

In Japanese we have something called Wabi Sabi. It very difficult to translate the concept, but it's the perfection and beauty in imperfections. It is the beauty of the open rustic crumb of the biscotti. It's the beauty of a homemade cracker's irregular and jagged edges.

I am an omelette woman. The French omelette, soft center with fresh goat cheese and herbs. A fresh cup of mocha made with freshly ground coffee beans, a heaping tablespoon of Guittard red Dutch cocoa powder, dark brown sugar and half-half.
oh for a morning routine that included food...

If i remember, I'll make a breakfast bake or scramble on Sunday and pack a serving to eat in the morning, usually at my desk... Otherwise, it's a run through a drive-thru, inhaling a breakfast burrito/sandwich/bowl in the last 5 minutes of my drive into the office. then flush it down with coffee. and water.

I don't care for sweet breakfasts most of the time. I love waffles, don't get me wrong, but i have to have a plate full of savory to go with it. Yogurt is ok, but i have texture issues with fruit, so it's going to be honey or something with granola. Then it ends up too sweet. Yes, i'm complicated. I would love to find a simple, low-fat, low-sodium, savory breakfast that doesn't take time in the morning to prepare. My coworker makes her cottage cheese savory, so i might try that.

Reaction score
I feel sorry for those people that remove that breakfast from their morning schedule. I need sustenance, and although I am a big fan of the drive thru burrito, I cannot eat it without that hash brown. So, it is a treat rather than the norm. I should not be the one to comment on those that are still in the working world after being retired for a couple of years. It was not my intent to retire, just health circumstances. It is easy for me to sit here and dream up the next meal. It is another thing when you are rushing out the door to work.
Right now I have two carrot cakes in the oven for the church supper tonight, and a corn salad in the fridge marinating in its' bowl. Breakfast today was an egg salad sandwich. Odd, but satisfying.

Oh, i haven't removed it, i love breakfast! But cooking one on weekdays is just not going to happen. The drive-thru and I have a love-hate relationship, so i try to avoid it, but i don't always have the time/ingredients/money to make a bake on the weekend to nibble throughout the week. I'll get a system down at some point...

Reaction score
Oh, i haven't removed it, i love breakfast! But cooking one on weekdays is just not going to happen. The drive-thru and I have a love-hate relationship, so i try to avoid it, but i don't always have the time/ingredients/money to make a bake on the weekend to nibble throughout the week. I'll get a system down at some point...

Definitely there with you on breakfast during the weekdays. My weekday mornings just got a bit more challenging :( Last week, most of my team at work moved buildings and it is a bit further out for me. Even though the distance between my old building and my new one is a couple of miles, due to traffic and the route I need to take it is much longer than that. I'm now leaving the house about an hour earlier than I used to (which means getting up an hour earlier as well) to avoid the worst of the traffic and find a decent parking spot.

While yogurt & fruit is definitely easy and perfect to package up for work (easy prep the night before), I needed to change things up a bit. For breakfasts this week, I did an oatmeal bake on Sunday (oatmeal, banana, blueberries, coconut milk, a bit of vanilla and cinnamon). After it cooled, I sliced it, wrapped each slice individually, then froze them. The night before, I grab two from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the fridge. They're perfect the next morning! My husband hates regular oatmeal but loves oatmeal bakes. This one was very tasty. I think I'm going to do the same thing for next week... maybe double the batch and keep a few handy in the freezer :D

Reaction score
I made a scramble on Sunday to eat throughout the week. I had some Monday, forgot it Tuesday and discovered it gone on Wednesday. Thanks, dear husband and son who have time to make their own breakfast in the morning!! :mad:

Reaction score
I made a scramble on Sunday to eat throughout the week. I had some Monday, forgot it Tuesday and discovered it gone on Wednesday. Thanks, dear husband and son who have time to make their own breakfast in the morning!! :mad:
My, oh my! That's one of "you're lucky I love you" moments ;)

I'm curious about this scramble, do you make it in the oven? Heat it up when you're going to eat it? I'm always on the look out for make ahead meals to simplify the week. I'm also always hoping I'll get a system down one of these days... then work happens :confused:

Reaction score
My, oh my! That's one of "you're lucky I love you" moments ;)

I'm curious about this scramble, do you make it in the oven? Heat it up when you're going to eat it? I'm always on the look out for make ahead meals to simplify the week. I'm also always hoping I'll get a system down one of these days... then work happens :confused:

They were lucky i'd forgotten by the time i got home!

The scramble i make in the skillet then nuke a portion (usually at work) to have for breakfast. this one was leftover potato wedges chopped and re-crisped, diced onions and tri-color peppers, the rest of the broccoli/kale slaw i had, eggs and cheddar. Seasoned to taste, which for me is garlic salt, pepper and hot sauce!

I've made several in the oven as well. randomningredients, but you whip the eggs with a little milk then pour it over and sprinkle with cheese. or not. the ingredients are totally up to you, but i'd suggest cooking veggies a little first to reduce the water content. next one i'm going to smash some cauli tots in the bottom of the baking dish and brown them then add the other stuff. should be tasty!

Ask a Question