what have I done wrong ? I have to keep adding flour

Reaction score
what have I done wrong ? I have to keep adding flour on recipes for different kinds of bread,way more than what the recipe calls for,to get the dough to look the same as pictures or video recipes,at times it looks more like pancake batter

I did a no knead basic white bread in a skillet a couple of weeks ago and i had to add at least 3 cups more AP flour to even get close to the consistency of what was shown and it came our really dense,but did make great toast :)

I've had this problem with French Bread,pizza dough, different basic white breads,I follow the recipes to the letter

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I often find that when I'm baking bread, I add just enough of the liquid to bring the mixture together - you don't necessarily have to add the whole lot. The dough can be quite soft at first, but it will stiffen up as you knead it due to the build up of the gluten proteins.

The amount of flour and liquid and water required in making bread will vary a lot - it depends on the type of flour, how old it is, even the atmospheric conditions where you are. So don't worry if you don't need all of the liquid specified in the recipe.

Reaction score
thanks for the help,but how am i suppose to know when there is enough flour in the mix ? I assume it will be from what I'm trying to make ? and as you can tell I'm fairly new to baking,I had a Sun Beam bread machine that got me started and it kicked the bucket,i have a different one now,i forget the name right now,but the bread comes out dense from it

but my girl friend bought me a Kitchen Aide stand up mixer and I feel like I should be using it quite often :) I do appreciate the help and I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions for sure

Reaction score
when I was making the skillet bread,it wanted me to add the water and yeast together to begin with and then let it stand for 5 minutes,should I mix the water and yeast first and then add it ?

Ask a Question