What's your biggest baking challenge?

Reaction score
Hi! Just new here. Just a quick Question about baking. Well, mostly the one you considered your biggest problem. I'm actually just starting to do baking where I help my sister mostly. But my Mother-In-Law is great at it. Just no time for her to teach me due to her busy schedule. :)

Reaction score
Correct bread kneading technique and results.
Leaving cookies in oven or on a hot sheet too long.
Having patience to deal with my learning curve. I get lucky too often, but third time is the usual charm for me.
Brad

Reaction score
Having been married for 48+ years, I am sure my wife would say her biggest problem is success with her Oma's marble cake recipe. Wife's mother and grandmother from Germany, her grandfather from Lorraine, Fr. A lot to live up to in the baking thing! Brad

Reaction score
Leaving cookies in oven or on a hot sheet too long.
Having patience to deal with my learning curve. I get lucky too often, but third time is the usual charm for me.
Brad

• No flour—I know that goes against everything that is instructed in recipes and cookbooks, but using flour on the work surface adds flour to the dough. That in turn changes the ratio of flour to water.
  • My technique is to pat flat; fold in half; gently press with heel of hand against surface; quarter of turn; repeat. Use bench scraper as kneaded.

Reaction score
Having been married for 48+ years, I am sure my wife would say her biggest problem is success with her Oma's marble cake recipe. Wife's mother and grandmother from Germany, her grandfather from Lorraine, Fr. A lot to live up to in the baking thing! Brad

Baking Oma’s memory is an impossible task! You are brave for trying;)

Reaction score
In the whiskey making business, the Van Winkle family (most famous whisky ever) refer to a barrel of whisky "making the trip." Or not! Regarding from distillation to barreling, to aging, etc. Every time I bake, I wonder if my dough or batter is going to make the trip.
Only I don't have to wait so long for the answer. Brad

Reaction score
In the whiskey making business, the Van Winkle family (most famous whisky ever) refer to a barrel of whisky "making the trip." Or not! Regarding from distillation to barreling, to aging, etc. Every time I bake, I wonder if my dough or batter is going to make the trip.
Only I don't have to wait so long for the answer. Brad
Lol, 20 yrs of baking and every time I put some thing in the oven I still wonder if it’s going to make the trip!

Reaction score
Hi! Just new here. Just a quick Question about baking. Well, mostly the one you considered your biggest problem. I'm actually just starting to do baking where I help my sister mostly. But my Mother-In-Law is great at it. Just no time for her to teach me due to her busy schedule. :)
My question, not my problem, is why home recipes are so convoluted.
Multiple unnecessary steps, making a mess of every bowl available.

Ask a Question