You are asked to bake a cake of your choice for a function; what would it be?

Reaction score
In my case I would ask if I could bring some barbecue baked chicken, or some other dish I know I am really good at preparing :). If they insist I would most likely go with a chocolate cake. I think I do a pretty decent job of that.

I am guessing that whatever you decide to donate would be the cake you know you make best. What would that be?

Reaction score
My mind blanked on the humor there for a minute- BBQ cake?! Hah, I catch up sooner or later with these things ;). The cake I've made the most and the cake I've made the best are actually not the same. I've only made it once so far but I still think the cake I made the best was a chocolate raspberry layer cake. I love the flavour combination :).

Reaction score
It's probably poor humor so I won't quit my day job. It's interesting what you said; that the cake you make the most is not necessarily the one you have made the best. Very interesting.

Maybe you will play it safe and go with the one you have made the most for the function. Yet again your are so good you could probably go with the chocolate raspberry layer cake and do an excellent job.

Reaction score
I also thought she was talking about a BBQ chicken cake.

If I was asked to bring a cake, I would bake a coconut cake or a pound cake. It's been awhile since I have made either of these, but I'm sure I could whip one up.

Reaction score
I also thought she was talking about a BBQ chicken cake.

If I was asked to bring a cake, I would bake a coconut cake or a pound cake. It's been awhile since I have made either of these, but I'm sure I could whip one up.
Coconut cake is something I would love to bake from scratch. I love anything that has coconut in it even in my cooking. Back when I was much younger I would watch my mom literally stand or sit and use the grater to prepare coconut bread and the like. I am sure that's why I love the box cakes. It''s less energy and much faster and the taste seems to work just fine most of times.

Reaction score
It's probably poor humor so I won't quit my day job. It's interesting what you said; that the cake you make the most is not necessarily the one you have made the best. Very interesting.

Maybe you will play it safe and go with the one you have made the most for the function. Yet again your are so good you could probably go with the chocolate raspberry layer cake and do an excellent job.

Oh no, your humor's fine, humor really doesn't translate itself as well to text a lot of the time. I'm a risk taker, I'd have to go with my best but not very experienced choice :)

Reaction score
Oh no, your humor's fine, humor really doesn't translate itself as well to text a lot of the time. I'm a risk taker, I'd have to go with my best but not very experienced choice :)

I am a risk taker only with cooking, not with baking. I am cautious in the baking department, Very, very cautious. I did a chocolate cake yesterday and I tried substituting water for milk but only went half of the way. It was half decent but I took too long to take it out of the oven so it was dried out a little too much for my liking. Work in progress.

Reaction score
Coconut cake? Yum. It turns out so pretty too.

I had a cranberry orange bundt cake with powdered sugar glaze once that was so delicious that I'm trying to figure out how to make it. I made a mean pistachio almond cake a couple of times, but it takes forever, so I'd probably pick something easier. Maybe just stick with good old chocolate cake with butter cream frosting.

Reaction score
I'd do chocolate cake because everyone loves chocolate cake. I'd make something closer to a brownie though with a chocolate ganache and maybe some cream filling.

Reaction score
I would do a traditional Victoria Sponge as everyone likes that, if children were involved it would be a double chocolate fudge cake. One, because I love chocolate and so do children. I find older people prefer a traditional cake and some find chocolate too sweet.

Reaction score
I would take a applesauce cake. It is my best by far and is so easy to prepare. Its been a hit at most functions so far so it'll be my tag along unless something else is requested.

Reaction score
I took a look at the postings and it appears there are a few people going with something with a chocolate accent. I was not too thrilled about the my last chocolate cake. I might have played around with it too much. I have to remind myself I am not cooking where I can do as I like and end up with a fantastic meal.

My chocolate cake was too dry and I don't know a chocolate cake should be dry. Anyway I know what I did wrong. I will try to right my wrong next time.

Ask a Question