Adding vinegar to cake to make it fluffier?

Reaction score
I might try this next time I make a Vanilla Dream cake which I started a thread about. To me the end result was too heavy with not enough fluff. I like fluffy cakes.

Reaction score
Vinegar is often added to milk as a substitute for buttermilk. One tablespoon per cup of milk and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Vegan cakes can often contain vinegar as well.

Reaction score
I am glad I was reminded about this. Was trying to remember where I had seen this message. I have not been near to the dream cake in recent times. I think I'd rather have it remain as a dream right now.

Reaction score
There are way too many tricks you can actually use to make any kind of cake get fluffier than usual, some people add baking soda, some other people add a little bit of yeast and also, the old school bakers add vinegar, but I've heard that it gives it a bitter taste, so yes, you could definitely try with any of these I just stated, I personally think it's going to be good with any of those, good luck!

Reaction score
I have heard of this, and even eaten cake with vinegar in the recipe, but I'm scared, lol. Yeah, I definitely don't want my cakes to taste like vinegar, bleh. Thanks for that tip, Wahmed. I might give a try sometime. I think I'll do a trial run on something plain, rather than attempting it when I need cakes to serve other people. It's definitely worth a try.
I use it all the time in my cakes. I use 1 tsp of ACV (apple cider vinegar) and it will not hinder the taste of the cake.It does make it fluffier bc it produces some kind of reaction with the leavening agents in the cakes. It's all science. The Cake Bible explains it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am so glad this came up again. I knew I had seen something here ages ago but could not remember what makes cakes fluffier. I need to try this. I wonder how vinegar might affect something like a banana bread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It should be fine but you could always use lemon or lime juice instead if you want. I think vinegar works well with a dark chocolate cake. It seems to bring the chocolate out, as does coffee or espresso powder.

Reaction score
It should be fine but you could always use lemon or lime juice instead if you want. I think vinegar works well with a dark chocolate cake. It seems to bring the chocolate out, as does coffee or espresso powder.
Thanks a mill. Never knew lime or lemon juice could have that effect.Baking is quite the science.

Reaction score
Both are acid, which is what reacts to the baking soda. I use lemon juice in a buttermilk hack if I don't have buttermilk and need a cup for a recipe. Add 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar) to a cup of milk, either full-fat or low-fat, stir and let sit at room temperature for about a half-hour. The milk will curdle and become more uniformly acidic, and as far as the necessary chemistry to react with the baking soda leavener, will substitute for actual buttermilk. I wouldn't use this when doing something like buttermilk-dipped fried chicken as I think you'd want the actual buttermilk flavor. But in a dark chocolate cake I don't think you'd notice that much.

Did you ever do the "volcano" experiment in science class, where you put baking soda (and sometimes soap liquid to make it even more bubbly) into a papier-mache volcano and then dump in vinegar and watch it fizz up? We did. Didn't really know of its application to leavening at the time. I should also add, last month I noticed the bathroom sink was draining really slowly, and I tried the baking soda/vinegar fix to unclog the drain. It worked well! After allowing the drain to be as empty as possible (standing water should be allowed to drain through), pack as much baking soda into the drain as you can. If it gets a little damp, it packs like wet sand. Then put the tea kettle on, and when the water's at the boil, switch it off and have it standing by. Add about half a cup to a cup of white vinegar to the drain. It'll start fizzing on contact with the vinegar, and start working its way into the drain. Then pour a couple of cups boiling water on top. Wait a few minutes, then pour the rest of the boiling water down -- and flush the drain with hot tap water. This worked great for me. It was probably just a gunky buildup (I'll claim not by me as I'd only been living in the apartment a month at that point!) By the way, I should really have tried just the boiling water first on its own, but I didn't think of it. :)

Reaction score
@Apocalypso , science was never my thing.I have visions of a 3 whenever I think of school and science. I can't remember if it 3% or 30%:).Either way, the science of baking is what probably kept me away from baking. I figured I'd always fail. Thanks to forum..I am getting there. Apoca, you are a hack person as well? I tried that baking soda hack but I cant say it worked for. I think I did my own thing and it failed.

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm a "hack" person per se. I will watch a 'top ten hacks' video and come away with maybe one thing I'd be willing to try. Then again, two of my favorite old books I've had for years are old "household hints" books written in the Forties and Sixties respectively, quite fun to look at. One was entitled "The Good Housekeeping Housekeeping Book," and along with exact instructions for ironing shirts, was full of reassuring "don't be afraid of the new washing machines" type of tone, and aimed at new post-WWII brides. Adorable!

I just picked up something to try while watching a baking video on YouTube. Anna Olson, of Food Network Canada fame (she has a quite enjoyable style and an amazing kitchen setup, with inset drawers holding her dry goods) mentioned in an aside that you can use dry milk powder to stabilize whipped cream. Since I bought a whole box of nonfat dry milk for a bread baking project, and since it seems simpler than blooming a bit of gelatin, I'll have to try it.

Reaction score
I use lemon juice in a buttermilk hack if I don't have buttermilk and need a cup for a recipe.
Is it the same method when adding to a cake? I use this method too (can't buy buttermilk here :( ) but never thought about it for a cake mix.

Can't wait to try it.

Reaction score
Chemically (as a mild acid to react with baking soda / bicarbonate to leaven), yes, it should be a fine substitute.

Ask a Question