Any coconut freaks out there? :-)

Reaction score
I love coconut. Maybe partly because it makes me think of the suntan lotion I used when spending time lying on the beach with friends as I grew up in Southern California. Good memories.

Anyway, I came up with a really simple way to make a quick coconut cake that many people (who like coconut) really enjoy.
I simply took a white cake mix and used my own substitutes.

Instead of water I use coconut milk. For the oil, I use coconut oil. I put 1/2 cup flaked coconut in the batter.

I use a butter cream frosting and I use coconut milk instead of regular. Again, I add some more flaked coconut to that. Once I put some of those mini chocolate chips in the frosting for variation.

Yup, I admit it, I do like things both sweet *and* rich. Now, how many laps (around the track, or neighborhood) would that be... ha, ha!

Reaction score
@hispoiema I have recently become obsessed with coconut! One of my favorite ingredients is coconut oil. I did something similar to your butter cream frosting, but instead of coconut milk I used coconut oil. It was delicious and very appreciated by my lactose intolerant friend!

Reaction score
I am the opposite kind of "coconut freak." I absolutely HATE coconut. The mere smell of it is enough for me to not want to eat an item (that means no German chocolate cake for me, even though I love chocolate).

The only exceptions I have been able to find over the years is that I was able to use coconut milk in an Indian dish at one point because it doesn't taste/smell like coconut really. And I used coconut oil when making homemade chapstick/lip balm as Christmas gifts one year.

Reaction score
I do like coconut but it's not anything I go crazy over. I eat just about every sweet thing there is so I do like coconut cake, coconut cookies, coconut pie, etc. It's not one of my absolute must haves but it is good.

Reaction score
I like coconut, it always adds a nice flavor to desserts and things. I have started using coconut oil with some of my cooking. I am still experimenting with it because some of my cooking turns out tasting like coconut when it really shouldn't. I like that it is so healthy though.

Reaction score
I'm definitely NOT a coconut freak. I'll tolerate it in moderation, but if my husband didn't love it so much I really think I'd do without it 99% of the time. I don't detest it or anything, it's just not my favorite flavour and I find it very easy to get overwhelmed by the taste and smell of it. I do use coconut milk sometimes, though.

Reaction score
Those are some good ideas. I like coconut oil. I really like the actual texture of coconut, though, and you can't get that from the oils and stuff.

Reaction score
Yes, I love coconut! I actually just got back from Jamaica, a country completely obsessed with the stuff! They have so many sweets made with coconut. I had what they call "grate cake" (I think) that was basically compressed sweetened grated coconut.. it was sickly sweet but still so good! They also had these coconut pastries that were like mini little coconut pies... SO GOOD!

Reaction score
I love coconut and it's easy to find coconut desserts in Miami. Some coconut desserts like coconut pasteles are ridiculously sweet but I love them anyway.

Reaction score
I like coconut! Though mostly, I love coconut-based pies. I haven't tried coconut-based cakes, though, but I like coconuts because of mostly the texture and the way they get to blend with milk in an oddly interesting fashion.

Reaction score
I am partial to a good macaroon. Got a couple of shop bought ones from Tescos that were reduced recently. They still tasted good and maybe I will trying making some of my own now.

Reaction score
I love coconut cakes. My taught me how to make one from scratch when I was a kid. I don't even remember the recipe. She also sprinkled coconut flakes on top of the icing so it was covered with coconut flakes. Delicious.

I have been thinking about taking a stab at baking project. Coconut cake would be perfect.

Reaction score
I also love coconut, and it is so healthy as well. I am trying to add it into my diet every way that i can do it. I usually cook with coconut oil, and also have the extra virgin coconut oil that I add to my food, or just take a spoonful of to add it into my diet. I don't usually make cakes, but I love the idea of the coconut cake ! ! I do sometimes make bran muffins, so I will try adding the coconut to that recipe the next time that I make them.
When I buy a fresh coconut, I chop the coconut meat in the food processor until it is small bits, and then put it in a plastic freezer bag and keep it frozen so it is always fresh when I add it to my smoothies or other recipes.

Reaction score
Lucky for me, I grew up around coconut trees. I have a few of them in my backyard. Coconut has many health benefits, and I drink the water every morning. The water is good for the cleansing of the kidneys and other purposes. I use the flesh of the coconut to make things like cake, tart, bread, cookie, pie, oil, and etc. I can make about anything with coconut... You name it!!!

Reaction score
I love coconuts, and I get them whenever I have the opportunity! Meanwhile, I enjoy eating coconut meat and drinking coconut water more than eating coconut-flavored desserts. I guess it's because coconut-flavored desserts just seem a little bit strange to me.

Reaction score
I think coconut cake is definitly one of my favorites. However, my daughter who lives with me is allergic to coconut as is my son so I do not make them. Occasionally I will buy one slice at the bakery. I also love German chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting on it. And coconut cream pie!! There is just nothing like it,,, that yummy vanilla custard with the shreds of coconut in it and a merangue on top that has been put in the oven just long enough to brown the peaks on it... YUM!

Reaction score
I love making chocolates with toasted coconut mixed into them. I am not fond of the fruit flavored chocolate so it gives me something a little extra than just plain chocolate or chocolate and nuts. Coconut is very good in the summer because it just makes everything taste so tropical.

Ask a Question