Bake sale goodies?

Reaction score
So after my first fundraising bakesale for my local LGBTQ Pride Parade, I've realized that cupcakes (anything with frosting, really) does not hold up well to the recent heat. We're scheduled to bake on Friday and hold a sale on Sunday at a different local church so I come to you guys to ask for suggestions. (Last time we sold two types of cupcakes, some brownies, three types of cookies, and a few macaroons.)

For those of you that have done bake sales, any tips?

For those of you that love going to bake sales, what would you want to buy? What would entice you to pay a high price for an item?

Reaction score
I am ALWAYS tempted by brownies! :D There are so many twists you can do too - my favourites that I've done at home are Oreo brownies (broken up Oreos mixed in and some more on the top before it goes into the oven) and peanut butter brownies (this recipe is amazing).

Other than brownies, I guess anything done as a tray bake is easier when you are making lots. How about flapjacks or millionaire shortbread?

Reaction score
If you'll be in the heat, could you do something interesting like suckers you make by putting Jolly Ranchers on a cookie sheet with foil, melt them, then put a stick in and let them cool?

Reaction score
I used to help with a bake sale at church each summer. It's funny....sometimes one thing sells, sometimes another. Cookies were always a big hit, though. I'm not sure how much you get by way of donations or if you have to do all the cooking yourself. Since individual cookies take a lot of time, bar or pan cookies are a good way to go, as Betty suggests.

We also used to do stuff that wasn't really baked goods and it sold well. Pretzel rods dunked in chocolate, then covered with sprinkles, finely chopped nuts or chocolate sold pretty well.

We also sold a lot of different kinds of fudge. We learned to take a cooler with us to keep most of the fudge on ice and only put a bit out at a time. You can fill empty milk jugs with water and freeze them and as it melts the water is contained and doesn't mess up the fudge. (or whatever else you want to keep cold in there)

Reaction score
Whenever I go to a bake sale if I see anything unique like something I haven't tried before and it looks tasty I will always buy it. Pecan tarts are a favorite of mine at bake sales. You can't go wrong with cookies or brownies either. How about ice cream bread? There are recipes online, that would be something unique that many people would want to try.

Reaction score
I would say cookies also. They don't melt. Rice Krispie treats are a good way to go. If it's really hot, there are few desserts that don't end up melting somewhere.

Reaction score
Re rice krispies treats: I've discovered ways to dress them up. I like them plain but when dunked in melted chocolate (any color) they look very attractive. Drizzle a little more or drizzle white chocolate on one dunked in dark chocolate. Toss some peanut butter into the marshmallow mixture (careful of amounts so you don't change the texture.) I've also melted a bit of pb into semi-sweet chips and spread it across the rk treats before cutting them. Those babies disappeared! Of course, anytime you add chocolate you have to be a bit concerned about high temps, but this doesn't melt as fast as frosting.

Reaction score
We hold a lot of bake sales at school and what we found extremely popular is allowing customers to decorate their own cupcakes! I'm not sure why, but we always get more sales when we let them decorate everything themselves! I guess some people don't like frosting so they always have the option to purchase a cupcake without the frosting. However, this certainly can get messy, so be sure to use a disposable table cover!

Reaction score
We have a bake sale at least once a month at church. Deciding what to bake, especially in the summer months, can be a serious challenge. When it's very hot outside, I find that little fruit tarts and cookies work best. I'd suggest against anything with chocolate or icing, as both tend to melt even in slight heat.

Reaction score
Bar cookies would've been so much easier! The two people in charge of cookies ruined two batches by overcooking them :( and the sizes were not uniform. That task will get delegated to someone else for the next one and I'll suggest bar cookies. Looking into ice cream and millionare bread after I post this!

lianymode: If we do any indoor bake sales, I am totally going to suggest that decorate-yourself idea! It sounds fun (and messy, definitely, but it seems like it's worth it.)

How do you guys like to see bake sales advertised? Posters, newspaper ads, Craigslist, facebook events, sample tastings, etc??

Reaction score
When I go to a bake sale, it is always the CHOCOLATE that draws me over. It might be brownies (yum !), or chocolate chip cookies,
I think brownies would hold together even in the heat, than the cupcakes or a cake would. And probably cookies would do even better.

Reaction score
If frosting can't hold up in this heat, maybe you can try cupcakes with cream in the center. Although cupcakes with toppings looks beautiful but it's quite messy for me to eat them (smudges on my nose and lips :p). You can try this Hokaido cup cake recipe. It is actually a sponge cake with strawberry fillings....very easy to do and it's delicious!

Reaction score
Bar cookies would've been so much easier! The two people in charge of cookies ruined two batches by overcooking them :( and the sizes were not uniform. That task will get delegated to someone else for the next one and I'll suggest bar cookies. Looking into ice cream and millionare bread after I post this!

lianymode: If we do any indoor bake sales, I am totally going to suggest that decorate-yourself idea! It sounds fun (and messy, definitely, but it seems like it's worth it.)

How do you guys like to see bake sales advertised? Posters, newspaper ads, Craigslist, facebook events, sample tastings, etc??

Although bar cookies are faster, and I've been known to burn a tray or two of cookies myself, it's easy to keep cookie size uniform. I used to wonder HOW people did it! All it took was one cookware party to discover scoops. I now have two scoops...one that makes cookies about 2 1/2 inches across and one that makes twice that size. They come out lovely!

Reaction score
Maybe muffins would be better than cupcakes? You can put chocolate,fruit.. in them and they wont melt then in the heat. I make flapjacks and half cover them in chocolate or drizzle on the top.Keep things in coolers til you have to take out or replenish the stocks. Also ive always given free tasters out-only small pieces,but it helps with sales as people think they are getting something for nothing,lol.

Reaction score
Puppy Chow always sells well at our bake sale fundraisers for college clubs. Various bars without frosting should work well too - brownies, chocolate chip cookie bars, etc.

Ask a Question