Baking Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Reaction score
Hey my first post here, cool forum. I should have joined ages ago when baking became a hobby of mine.

Anyways, I've gotten pretty good at baking bread. I am looking into making cinnamon raisin bread.

I don't use a bread machine so I knead it by hand, my question is when do I add the raisins into the recipe? Can I add the raisins before kneading the bread? Or when is the best time to do that?

Reaction score
Hey my first post here, cool forum. I should have joined ages ago when baking became a hobby of mine.

Anyways, I've gotten pretty good at baking bread. I am looking into making cinnamon raisin bread.

I don't use a bread machine so I knead it by hand, my question is when do I add the raisins into the recipe? Can I add the raisins before kneading the bread? Or when is the best time to do that?

Hello and welcome.

Add the raisins after all the kneading is complete and the dough is really for bulk rise. Add-in will tear the gluten network, so alway soak the add-in some liquid, then drain and pat dry before adding. Especially if they are any kind of seeds. I normally roll my add-ins during shaping, the very last minute. But you don’t have to.

Cooks Illustrated video on making their raisin swirl bread. You can’t get to the recipe, but another site posted it. They do a babka twist which I don’t care for on a raisin loaf. But the baker in the link below uses their recipe and just leaves the loaves whole.

This baker doesn’t split the dough and twist it. I like the look of her loaf a lot better.

Ask a Question