Overcrowding baking tray

Reaction score
Assuming that there's physically enough space for the cookies to not spread into each other, what are the reasons to leave extra space between cookies in a baking tray? I've tried to find the answer on google and found one source say that the other cookies act as another heat source, so having them too close together will cause the cookies to spread more than intended. I think I've also seen a comment about air circulation but not sure what the actual effect is.

Just wondering if there's a reason to only put 8 cookies on a half-sheet pan when it can fit 12.

Reaction score
Assuming that there's physically enough space for the cookies to not spread into each other, what are the reasons to leave extra space between cookies in a baking tray? I've tried to find the answer on google and found one source say that the other cookies act as another heat source, so having them too close together will cause the cookies to spread more than intended. I think I've also seen a comment about air circulation but not sure what the actual effect is.

Just wondering if there's a reason to only put 8 cookies on a half-sheet pan when it can fit 12.

Air circulation is definitely important for cookies. Remember there is moisture in the cookie dough. Evaporation happens. And that creates steam. The steam affects the finished texture of the cookie, both the interior and the exterior. And it’s not just cookies it’s anything you put on a baking sheet. More cookies, or whatever you have on the baking sheet, the more steam is going to be released as they bake.

Reaction score

I get at least 15 cookies on 1/2 sheet pans x 3 inch dia.
A lot more for bagged viennese twirls.
I control flow by ommitting baking soda, spread by flattening with wet fingers, further control over spread by setting the oven way high to begine. If they call for 325F , set the oven to 400F and turn it down when the cookies go in, the initial high heat helps set the outer rim and prevents them from flowing into each other.

I got a yearnin for coconut raisin oatmeal cookies last nite. Heres whats left.
20200715_130812.jpg

Ask a Question