Baking Phases

Reaction score
Have you ever gone through phases where you baked very regularly for a while, then at some point largely or even completely lost interest for a while? That's kind of how I have been my whole life. I'll be really into it for a while, then I'll just burn out and have little to no interest for a while. I kind of cycle through different things in my life like that, I guess I just get a little bored after a while and need a break to rekindle interest.

Reaction score
I go through the same thing and it seems to be in alignment with the seasons. During the fall and winter months, I am totally into baking and I can't get enough of it. I am ok during the spring and will bake a few cakes, but by the time summer rolls around, I want nothing to do with baking and this is probably due to the heat of the summer months.

Reaction score
I was baking pies and cakes very often a couple years ago, but right now I'm not baking at all (might bake a pie this weekend tho). It's normal, I think things happen, we start getting tired or lose interest. Right now I really think next year I'll be baking a lot stuff :) I would love baking my own bread and english muffins, but we will see... it's so much easier to buy it from the store (but it is way cheaper and healthier to do it yourself!).

Reaction score
Have you ever gone through phases where you baked very regularly for a while, then at some point largely or even completely lost interest for a while? That's kind of how I have been my whole life. I'll be really into it for a while, then I'll just burn out and have little to no interest for a while. I kind of cycle through different things in my life like that, I guess I just get a little bored after a while and need a break to rekindle interest.

It's happened to me several times. Right now I think I am in the baking phase and I know the forum has a lot to do with it and the fact that for the first time I am doing things from scratch and having some hits and misses is keeping me going. I have gone through so many phases in my life, the house phase, the people phase, the paddle tennis phase (miss that) etc. There are some things that I wish were more than phases but it is what it is.

Reaction score
I love it but the thing is I have no one really to bake FOR. Well I didnt have. I started with cupcakes before moving to regular cakes. My partner only likes chocolate so when I'd experiment with other types, they'd end up in the trash. My partner doesn't like cookies. He doesn't like pretzels. I mean the pretzels I can take care of myself ;), but I dont eat sweets. And "regular" breads Ive always sucked at. LOL My oven fried chicken is the only thing we both enjoyed but it's kind of boring to make although awesomely delicious.
Now, I have my toddler. So hopefully when he's a little older I'll pick back up and start experimenting with cakes and stuff.:)

Reaction score
Heat does have a lot to do with it. There was a time I was making big batches of corn bread every couple of weeks and when summer came I continued for a while till one day I almost cried at the thought of turning on the oven because I was sweating while sitting still it was so hot.

Reaction score
I love it but the thing is I have no one really to bake FOR. Well I didnt have. I started with cupcakes before moving to regular cakes. My partner only likes chocolate so when I'd experiment with other types, they'd end up in the trash. My partner doesn't like cookies. He doesn't like pretzels. I mean the pretzels I can take care of myself ;), but I dont eat sweets. And "regular" breads Ive always sucked at. LOL My oven fried chicken is the only thing we both enjoyed but it's kind of boring to make although awesomely delicious.
Now, I have my toddler. So hopefully when he's a little older I'll pick back up and start experimenting with cakes and stuff.:)

I have to be careful with this phase as invariably I am going to end up eating too much. I have this thing about getting whatever I bake out of the house quickly so I won't be tempted. I have to watch the sweets. Since we are in the "baking"forum can we talk about baked chicken? I would sure like to know the secret to success for your bake chicken. Some time back I baked some tilapia in the oven and it was awful if I may say so myself.

Reaction score
I'm like that right now. When I have more people around I tend to bake more and more but since it's just been me lately I find myself cooking less and less and just trying out new experimental things to keep my interests going. I also love reading posts here about peoples' alternative recipes for foods I already know how to cook so I can try many different variations of the same thing as to not lose interest again.

Reaction score
Absolutely! I go through phases with baking and cooking...and lots of other things, actually. I guess there are all kinds of reasons I could give, between having chronic conditions/pain, schooling, etc. and just how much energy I have at any given time but I think I've always been like that to some degree, even as a child. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

Reaction score
I was into breads and pastries. Now I'm into meat dishes and casseroles. Then I'm sure I'll make rounds to cookies and cakes, and then back into breads and cycle it around. That way it doesn't get 'stale' so to say!

Reaction score
I am always been through this kind of going to a change of phase and it is really happening to most of us. Before when I was still single everyday I want to try, experiment and innovate cooking and baking recipes and the more I am interested and active in doing so after I had made a delicious products out from my recipes. But when I got married I lost time and interest in baking everyday. I just concentrate in discovering and cooking recipes for meal dishes that my family will love. Then I just bake simple recipes every weekend when we are all together to bond and eat. I think this attitude is just natural and is part of our everyday life. :)

Reaction score
I also think it shifts depending on who and what we are cooking for and with. I've went through different phases where I did was bake. Or marinade. Or grill. People want variety, as they call it the spice of life and then they get bored or go through phases. Our cooking just helps to reflect that.

Ask a Question