Baking Short Cuts

Reaction score
Are there methods that you use to cut down the work you put in to baking or the time you spend ? Share with use? Do you have a special way to prep that s a time save. Make you have some time of assembly line method the make you work load lighter. What are some of your tricks?

Reaction score
I don't have any shortcut for baking, but I try to devote a whole day to this activity in order to save time cooking at a later time.

In example, I bake a series of pizza and pies crust and other pastries that are well preserved in refrigeration same as some breads and cookies, which can even be frozen.

Doing this is not saves time through the week when cooking, but also saves energy since it's possible make us of all the oven heat at once.

Reaction score
It occurs to me that as MyDigitalpoint said, making extra crusts and storing them would be helpful. I really need a large freezer!

I would also recommend going to the Food Network website at food.com and looking up the show "Simply Homemade." It provides quick and easy "shortcut-like" recipes.

Reaction score
I agree that if you plan more than one thing, it not only saves on warming the oven, but clean up and prep time too. Typically my rule is to clean items as I go, so I dont have a big mess at the end.

If you structure having lets say flour on the counter , see what else you can do in that same sitting. I like the crusts idea which can be used for pies or even quiche...just like making dough that can be used for pot pies or calzone as well as biscuits or breads.

Reaction score
I don't have a shortcut, but I do try to have everything ready so that when I am ready to bake, I can get to my ingredients and not have to go back and forth getting them.

Reaction score
In the past I have made large batches of items that would freeze well all up at the same time. I would make pizza crusts, pie crusts and biscuits. You can also make the loaves of bread and rolls that rise and freeze them as well. It has been a while since I made the rising bread but I will try to find the recipe if anyone wants it. Normally, I would tackle these projects on weekends.

I have also made up lots of cookie dough and froze it before as well.

Reaction score
I have never tried freezing some of the things I make. I have heard of a lot of people doing this, but I have never wanted to try it. I may give it a shot during the holidays just to have something ready for christmas, but I don't know if I will actually do it. I tend to make it and eat it.

Reaction score
Since I don't have a lot of freezer space, I usually don't bake ahead and freeze. I do sometimes bake a few weeks ahead of an event or get together if it calls for bread. Quick breads freeze great, to save on time when the event is getting closer, but all in all, I just clean as I go, bake and pass it out.

Reaction score
I get everything out ahead of time and put it away as I use it, but otherwise, I love every bakey minute lol.. the longer the better, I enjoy it thoroughly.

Reaction score
I was just checking out a blog post yesterday with regards to making your own home made pizza dough. One of the things the author suggested was to mix up the dough early in the morning and then let it rise in your refrigerator all day while you are at work. This seems to make sense, since I believe that the cold air will make it rise slower, so it won't be overflowing all over your counter while you are away. She also suggests making larger batches, so you can have pizza later in the week too without the extra work.

http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/11097/

One time, I tossed out a bag of fresh pizza dough I had bought because I didn't use it for a couple weeks and assumed it was bad. When I got up the next morning, that little bag of dough had expanded to fill up my whole trash can and pushed the lid off partially, lol.

Reaction score
One tip I've picked up over time: If you've forgotten to set your butter out to soften, and need it right away, you know that melting it isn't the way to go! Instead, I cut it in half, put it between two pieces of parchment paper, and whack it repeatedly with a rolling pin (or other heavy item). This will help soften the butter quickly. This works well even if the butter is frozen- it may take a little more effort, but I swear it works :)

Ask a Question