Baking videos - watch and share

Reaction score
My brother had is coffee rated by a professional coffee organization that rates based on rigid international standards and it came back with really good numbers in all categories. As he works with the growers on cultivation and milling improvements they should be producing some top quality coffee. So that’s was exciting news.

Fantastic news! He must be great at what he does :)

Reaction score
Fantastic news! He must be great at what he does :)

He’s really coming along as a roaster. It takes years to become a master roaster, but he’s moving along. He’s been training with some of the top roosters in the country so he’s on a very steady path.

Reaction score
We're off to a BBQ on Sunday so I've been watching some of Cupcake Jemma's YouTube videos for cupcake ideas to take along. My two favourites are these:

I love the s'mores ones but I think I'm going to make the peach ones as they're more summery :)

Reaction score
Annoyingly I can't find ready made green leaves... Might have to make my own with candy melts or fondant. Was hoping for a shortcut though!

Reaction score
Annoyingly I can't find ready made green leaves... Might have to make my own with candy melts or fondant. Was hoping for a shortcut though!

Given the ubiquitous use of edible leaves you would think someone would make and market them.

Reaction score
Given the ubiquitous use of edible leaves you would think someone would make and market them.

Yeah you'd think so! The best I could find were fondant leaves but they came in a pack with flowers, so I'd have ended up buying multiple packs and disregarding 75% of the contents! I went with candy melts in the end, I'll post a new topic about the cupcakes (spoiler; they were delicious!)

Reaction score
I'd never think to make a Swiss roll using choux pastry instead of cake, but this looks AMAZING!

Reaction score
This brownie topped with crunchy caramel cornflakes looks delicious!! :D

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaagh, I’ve been away for too long! Thank you, Becky, for the newsletter, which drew me back in. :)

I have gotten way too addicted to YouTube videos, on cooking, baking, gardening, even vintage hairstyles which I am trying with less success than breads and braised dishes.

One source I enjoy is Anna Olson, of Food Network Canada. Her YT videos appear as with Oh Yum! (more recent) or Bake with Anna Olson. This recent one intrigued me. While I doubt I would ever make this as a complete dessert, the pastry crust with grated cooked egg yolk, the meringue with part icing sugar, and a different method of making butterscotch pudding than I have tried (my recipe starts with heating the butter and brown sugar together) all interested me. But mostly, I swoon over her organized kitchen (and those drawers with bins for dry ingredients)!

Reaction score
My favorite binge video series is 18th Century Cooking on YouTube ]. I particularly love the episodes where they tell how to make and use a wood-fired clay oven. Modern kitchens make baking so easy, I tend to take the convenience for granted.

Reaction score
One source I enjoy is Anna Olson, of Food Network Canada. Her YT videos appear as with Oh Yum! (more recent) or Bake with Anna Olson. This recent one intrigued me. While I doubt I would ever make this as a complete dessert, the pastry crust with grated cooked egg yolk, the meringue with part icing sugar, and a different method of making butterscotch pudding than I have tried (my recipe starts with heating the butter and brown sugar together) all interested me. But mostly, I swoon over her organized kitchen (and those drawers with bins for dry ingredients)!

Great to see you back on the forum! :D I've never seen that lady before, you're right that there are lots of interesting things. I've never heard of grated cooked egg yolk being used in pastry, I'm intrigued! If you give it a try let us know what it's like. I think she'd have a fit if she ever saw my disorganised kitchen, lol!

Reaction score
My favorite binge video series is 18th Century Cooking on YouTube ]. I particularly love the episodes where they tell how to make and use a wood-fired clay oven. Modern kitchens make baking so easy, I tend to take the convenience for granted.

That video doesn't work for some reason, could you try adding the link again?

Reaction score
That video doesn't work for some reason, could you try adding the link again?

The link didn't work for me either. I did a search and wonder whether VoluntaryBaker was talking about the series from Townsends? They do lots of Colonial-America cooking, baking, and houseware videos which are fascinating.
This is a link to their series of bread baking videos:

They are a lovely complement to the videos of Victorian-era English cookery with Mrs. Crocombe, and I discovered those first. They did a parcel exchange with the Townsends people, which was how I discovered their American cousins.

Reaction score
Great to see you back on the forum! :D I've never seen that lady before, you're right that there are lots of interesting things. I've never heard of grated cooked egg yolk being used in pastry, I'm intrigued! If you give it a try let us know what it's like. I think she'd have a fit if she ever saw my disorganised kitchen, lol!

Thanks! I really picked one where she went off the beaten path, but those are the ones I especially like. While I very much doubt I'll ever make the three components together, I may try just the pudding sometime, or just the pastry for something else. Recently I saw a video of hers for a Quebecois Depression-era dessert, a simple cake batter bathed in a maple syrup sauce and baked together, called Pouding Chomeur or "Poor-Man's Pudding." It seems calorically extravagent but doesn't require as much butter as a traditional cake or frosting.

I dream sometimes of inventing a sort of modern-day Hoosier cabinet, which if you aren't familiar on your side of the pond, were freestanding cabinets fitted to hold all the dry goods for baking. My maternal grandparents' old house had one with the built-in bins and sifting unit for flour, handy when one made so much from scratch. Example: https://www.furnitureknowledge.com/hoosier-cabinet-sellers-cabinet-hardware-parts/ It'd be awesome if there were a way to sift and measure via a built-in digital scale, though of course, you could just place the scale strategically.

Ask a Question